UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2018, 10:46 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default BVWS Harpenden Sun 23rd Sept

So now that the warm summer is fading in to the past and the darker nights are rolling in, why not stock up the workshop with some projects to keep you occupied for all those autumn/winter evenings?

Yes, it's Harpenden Swap Meet and Auction time again, on Sunday 23rd September.

Doors open 9.30am, (stallholders 9.00am) £5 entry on the door.
Auction to start about 1pm, with approx. 300 lots!

With many stalls, the Bring & Buy table, you will find a huge selection of vintage goodies, including radio, TV, audio/hifi, communications, spares, valves, test gear, service manuals, ephemera, books and much more!

Plus the BVWS table with all the Capacitor values that you need for vintage gear, plus Deoxit, Bulletin back issues and publications/DVD's.

ALL ARE WELCOME, if you're not a member, you can come in as a guest and see what we're all about! You can even take the plunge and join on the day (You'll need to be a member to bid in the auction) Debit/Credit card payments taken for memberships, auction and BVWS stall items.

Refreshments served throughout the day!

See you there!

For directions and parking info: http://www.harpendenpublichalls.co.u...ns-and-access/

Here's a video of a recent past event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2UZBn0pvg

See you there...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 18th Sep 2018, 12:23 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden Sun 23rd Sept

Just a reminder about how the Bring & Buy works at Harpenden.

We are no longer in the foyer but just inside the main doors to the hall itself. You can still leave stuff with us during setting up as we'll have a booking-in table in one of the doors to the main hall.

There are 2 ways to sell stuff on the B&B.

1: Donation with 100% going to the Vintage Wireless Museum. We also like this because there's no admin for labels, lists etc!

2: Sales with 10% commission to the Museum. If you have more than a couple of items it helps us a lot if you can make a numbered list with prices. With corresponding numbered price labels stuck on the items. We then add a serial letter so that your No 3 is different from another No 3. We can do labeling/listing on the day but it really slows things down at busy times. Please use the attached listing sheet, to help us.

We close the B&B when the auction starts (approx 1pm) but if you've sold anything you can collect the proceeds at any time. Please remember to collect unsold items well before the auction starts.

You've all been fabulously generous in the past, raising over £400 at the last Harpenden, so let's hope for another big donation to the Museum this time.

See you on Sunday

Jeremy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B&B Single Sheet.pdf (62.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 18th Sep 2018, 11:31 pm   #3
murphymad
Heptode

Hello everyone,

I have just sent the Auction catalogue For the BVWS Harpenden event this coming Sunday up to Paul so it should be appearing here very soon.

We hope to see you all on the day.

Mike...
Old 19th Sep 2018, 2:14 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The catalogue is now available on the BVWS website and is also attached.

Further lots will be added on the day.

Anyone wishing to place commission bids must ensure that they have someone to take it away for them as the BVWS will not be able to take things back to the store from Harpenden this time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harpenden Auction Catalogue 09-2018.pdf (65.9 KB, 220 views)

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 8:44 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

Well as I couldn't get to Harpy I was hoping to have had a report by now

Cheers

Mike T
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:02 pm   #6
1100 man
Octode

Well, I certainly had an enjoyable day! The B&B was buzzing and I'm sure I saw smoke coming out of Jeremy & Brian's ears! They were rushing about like men possessed, dealing with all the stuff & customers! I believe they did rather well into the bargain.

Met up with Davidh1041 who brought me a Murphy V410 TV which he had been keeping for me: rather exciting as this was the first TV I repaired when I was 12! Also it was transported in a proper '80's car- an Austin Maestro- very nice to see one in everyday use!

Usually, the auctions are sadly lacking in TV's but not this time. There were dozens of them!! Being a cheapskate, I came away with a beaten up Marconiphone 1400 chassis TV. I should have bid more for the better HMV one!
As usual, the auction was expertly run by Mike, who rattled through the lots like a machine gun! The helpers were struggling to keep up with him at times! Some lots were disposed of in under 15 seconds!
The payment & collection process at the end was also very well operated and I must commend all involved with it.

Having been following the other thread on the BVWS, I realise this is what I gain from being a member: access to a unique event and like minded people.
So my thanks go to everyone involved in the organisation.

No one has posted so far because we are all too busy playing with our new toys!

All the best
Nick
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:44 pm   #7
beamcurrent
Heptode

Yes smoke now extinguished! very busy and Jefferey writes in "another place":-

It seemed like a madhouse at the B&B today but the results justified all the work. Over £1000 for the Museum.

Thank you to all who helped, by staffing the stall and by contributing so generously.
Jeffrey Borinsky http://www.borinsky.co.uk

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:59 pm   #8
Andrewausfa
Octode

Seemed busier than the last one but anyway, I picked up a valve set that's not rare nor expensive but I've been after one for ages. Also a transistor set I didn't know I wanted. Or needed.

And everyone got a free box at the end!

Thanks to all the organisers and auction team once again.

Andrew
Old 24th Sep 2018, 7:19 am   #9
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I didn't post last night as I was simply done in! It was indeed a very busy and long day despite me thinking that we were down on numbers in total. How wrong could I be?

Mike certainly kept us all busy on stage as he rattled through it!
I was very good this time as took several pieces up with me and sold everything and did not buy a thing. It's given me some shelf space to stock up at Wooton Bassett!

See you all then!

Cheers
Old 24th Sep 2018, 3:02 pm   #10
newlite4
Octode

Lovely to be at Harpenden again, well worth the dark, gloomy rain lashed journey up from Bath, in contrast to the sun baked journey back home in the afternoon. Good to see such a lively turnout coupled with brisk trading. I was set up next to the bring and buy and Jeff, Jeremy, Edward and Brian were going non-stop! This is what makes BVWS membership so worthwhile and surely goes on to encourage those signed-in guests turning up on the day to join our group.
I bought some £1 cheapies at the end of the B&B, nice little Marconi T15DA in need of "finishing off", some B8G based valves for spares and a scrap Ever Ready valve portable for recycling.
Does seem that transistor radios and telephones are off the boil at the moment, could not believe the '50s Siemens telephone going for just £5 in the auction a sign of the times I suppose.
Anyway, nice one!
Neil