UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2019, 5:15 pm   #141
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Modern MK Safety Plug. Not impressed

Elderly Duraplug to be binned- this one is old enough for 'red/green/black' lettering to be moulded into the black part, and also shows signs of abuse- bent pins, and the usual lazy cut-out to the white part caused by the fitter failing to thread it onto the outer sleeve!

I took this one off a B&D jigsaw primarily because the blue and brown insulation was exposed, but the whole plug is just scrap. Looking at the inside note the pitch black coating of what is presumably sulphide, covering the fuse caps, the bronze hooks into which the fuse (just about) locates, (one of the many copper sulphides?) and the black deposition in the white part of the plug demarcating the ends of the fuse holder. The copper multi-core conductors had also gone black at the ends- but this might just be deposition from the silver attack.

Silver sulphide is a fairly non-invasive corrosion, but as far as the fuse is concerned it appears to have eaten ALL the silver plating. Must be lots of free sulphur in this (vulcanized?) plug- the black part of which has started to distort.

Check old Rubber plugs!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00984.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	179497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00985.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	179498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00986.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	179499  
Old 6th Mar 2019, 6:47 pm   #142
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The sulphur-induced black corrosion is typical of a lot of 'rubber' plugs/connectors - I've seen the same in loads of elderly Permaplugs and also in "Hercules"-brand ones [Hercules was Woolworths house-brand].

I had a chunky 15A BS546 3-pin supposedly-waterproof Duraplug inline "flex-connector" on the really-rather-long extension-lead used with my first electric lawnmower - it too suffered brass-blackening-syndrome. Thankfully this blackening is not an issue with either the MK SafetyPlugs or their nylon-topped ToughPlugs.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 7:24 pm   #143
The Philpott
Dekatron

Duraplugs-

Looked at another one today, and this confirmed my initial impression that as well as the loss of silver from the fuse caps, traces of metallic silver have been deposited on the top of the L,E, & N brass pins. Presumably this action would be accelerated if the plug was used with DC.

Dave
Old 8th Mar 2019, 12:07 am   #144
McMurdo
Dekatron

I still like MK plugs, shoot me! I've never bought one though, just cut them off old appliances and reused them.
Warming thick cables up slightly in the hand is enough to get them into the cable grips.

A version of that quick-plug with equal wiring lengths was shown on tomorrows world, but using spring-clips to hold the wires in place.