UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2017, 5:09 pm   #61
Mad Mal
Tetrode

Default Re: Strange smell when drilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
The trouble with that is, Tufnol - being phenol-formaldehyde and paper or cotton, has no sulphur content. So, while it could make awful-smelling fumes, it wouldn't be H2S. ColinTheAmpMan1 above, has already made that point!
I wasn't sure of the spelling, but some of the stuff that was used by the company my friend worked fore had a sulphur based inhibitor added to the resin,a nd that stuff wasn't layered paper like Paxolin, it was more like the fibres used in MDF. The green version had a different insulation breakdown voltage to the regular brown stuff. The Electricians on the site used it to replace insulators in the stationary spot welders. the tool room making the insulators as original replacements were considered very expensive by the purchasing department. When the engineering department was "outsourced" after a take over by another company, a lot of the workforce took the material (in large inch thick sheets) away as it was being thrown out into a skip to be incinerated later in the company's huge on site incinerator. I wonder how many "Modern style" coffee tables emerged from those sheets!
Closed Thread