UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2010, 4:54 pm   #21
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: 1931 Ekco M23

Re the coupling problem, I repaired one M23 by using a very small (and therefore low-current capacity) intervalve transformer and protected it by using capacitor coupling, in the manner of choke/capacitor coupling. That way I retained the full gain of transformer coupling. Of course, you need a small wax-coated transformer! Mine was of a generic type used in Aerodyne TRFs.
Old 26th Aug 2010, 7:25 pm   #22
howard
Nonode

Excellent work Dave,

I wouldn't have restored a set which was in such a state, but you've succeeded, an amazing transformation.

Howard
Old 26th Aug 2010, 11:13 pm   #23
David G4EBT
Dekatron

This well-illustrated fine restoration must surely merit a wider audience! Why not write it up for the BVWS Bulletin David, and submit it to the Editor - Carl Glover, unless it's been covered in such depth before, and would hence, be a 'me too' article.

Oddly perhaps, for people who are at the top of the game, the appeal of a set is often inversely proportionate to the condition that it's in! By that, I mean that the better the condition, the lesser the appeal. Some sets are in such a poor state at the outset that they can only be described as 'basket cases'. I think this falls comfortably within that definition, and it's wonderful to see that it has a new lease of life after almost 80 years.

David
Old 27th Aug 2010, 11:21 am   #24
newlite4
Octode

What an incredible transformation. I admire the attention to detail regards the chassis treatment. It looks as good as the day it was made.
Nice one,
Neil
Old 27th Aug 2010, 12:41 pm   #25
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
This well-illustrated fine restoration must surely merit a wider audience! Why not write it up for the BVWS Bulletin David, and submit it to the Editor
Thank you for such a complementary comment. I really don't think my work is worthy of the Bulletin. I couldn't write a "quality" article anyhow and I'm longer a member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Oddly perhaps, for people who are at the top of the game, the appeal of a set is often inversely proportionate to the condition that it's in! By that, I mean that the better the condition, the lesser the appeal. Some sets are in such a poor state at the outset that they can only be described as 'basket cases'. I think this falls comfortably within that definition, and it's wonderful to see that it has a new lease of life after almost 80 years.
Yes, my hobby is, only, restoring and the greater the challenge, the happier I am. I, actually, doubt I ever listen to this radio again, as I always say... "collecting is just a side effect of my hobby".

While I'm rambling on, I hope people do realise that I am just a determined bodger, without any special equipment, knowledge or money for that matter!. The reason for using MDF, for the back panel, was because I can't cut plywood without it splintering and it's for that reason I spent a ridiculous amount of time glueing back together the broken baffle board. I used oxalic acid because it's very cheap. The cost of airbrushing a chassis is considerably cheaper than doing it with an aerosol and a lot cheaper than electroplating! This radio cost me £30 and all I had to spend was £6 for the mains flex.

I post my success stories, on this forum, hoping that I will inspire people to have a go and save rather than break up a wreck... If I can do it anybody can

David
Old 27th Aug 2010, 4:27 pm   #26
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Why be so modest David when you have nothing to be modest about

You do the hobby proud.

You're right about plywood - it isn'ty so much your abilty to cut it that's lacking, as the limitations of the material - only the best qualilty birch ply gently cut with a router or scroll saw minimises chipping. It isn't easily come by either - much of the stuff that most DIY stores sell isn't 'plywood' in the traditional sense - it's just two sheets of facing veneer with a poor quality core between.

Thanks for posting so many pics of the stages that the radio went through in your capable hands. Yes - truly an inspiration - mission accomplished!

David
Old 27th Aug 2010, 5:22 pm   #27
Aerodyne
Octode

Dave, your restoration is more than worthy of the Bulletin, have no misplaced modesty about that. I can see why you can't put it forward for publication, being a non-member - but I also feel sure you could indeed write a quality article. Don't be over-concerned about syntax, spelling and grammatical errors, less-than-clear exposition etc. That's the job of a sub-editor to sort out.
Thin MDF is ideal for replacing original wooden back boards, for the reason you give. Nothing wrong with that, IMHO. Ply used in the same position must be cut with a fine fret-type blade or with a sacrificial panel clamped beneath - then the panel splinters, not the back board.
I repeat what I and others have said - this is a fine restoration and one you should be truly proud of and pleased with.
-Tony
Old 27th Aug 2010, 5:53 pm   #28
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I don't think that Carl would be worried about an article from a non-member. The usual struggle is to fill the pages.
Old 27th Aug 2010, 11:43 pm   #29
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
I post my success stories, on this forum, hoping that I will inspire people to have a go and save rather than break up a wreck... If I can do it anybody can
They certainly do that, but you are too modest about your ability!
Old 29th Aug 2010, 12:00 am   #30
tedzed1
Hexode

Hello David, if this site had awards, i think this would qualify for restoration of the year,
I also think that no radio is a basket case, anything can be restored if you are detrerminded, and have the patience.

Cheers Paul.
Old 29th Aug 2010, 9:28 am   #31
benjamin77
Retired Dormant Member

Dave,

It's always amazing what results can come from something that would probably be stripped for parts ! It's an insperation to see what you ahve done.

Just goes to show that patience is a virtue......!
Closed Thread