UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2019, 1:06 pm   #1
briscaF1
Diode

Default Roberts RSR-50 "line in" + Internet radio conversion

Hi all,

I'm new here so hello to all.

I've acquired a Roberts RSR-50 in pretty good condition overall but with no instructions. I've had it apart and sprayed some iso-propyl into a few switches and pots etc and the radio is working fine now with no scratchiness from the volume pot. The tape appears to work also although I think the thin belt is not so good as the capstan stops turning after a short while, probably due to slipping.

I didn't really want to use it for the above, however - I want to put a Raspberry Pi Zero W/PhatDAC into it and turn it into an internet radio/media player.

From the looks of it, there is a linear power supply (5V) in the RSR-50 which I think should be able to power my Pi via a hacked USB cable but it's the sound output from the DAC that's the problem.

I did think I could just get a 3.5mm jack to 5 way DIN (for the aux port) as this would the same as a "line in" but I'm thinking it does not work this way. Is this an output port only? Other than this, is there any kind of line in on this device that is compatible with a modern audio source? If not, I'm not averse to soldering a 3.5mm jack plug in but without a schematic, I've no idea where to start.

I had purchased a Telefunken 654 to do the same job but felt guilty about ripping the guts out to put the Pi / power supply / amplfifier into it so I thought the RSR-50 might be easier (and stereo!)

Can anyone assist, please?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th Jun 2019, 1:19 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Roberts RSR-50 "line in" + Internet radio conversion

This is what one looks like: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/roberts_rsr50.html

5 pin DIN sockets usually have line in and out connections. It should be easy enough to confirm this with a bent paperclip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector
Old 11th Jun 2019, 6:02 pm   #3
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts RSR-50 "line in" + Internet radio conversion

A pair of LM3xx audio amps, 4" speakers and chipboard box will sound better.
Also I doubt there is enough power to power the RSR50 amp AND the PI. It's probably not a regulated 5V either.
Usually when there is a tape recorder there is a Line position. However wiring two pins of DIN input if unused to the volume controls is simple.
Closed Thread