UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2019, 4:09 pm   #1
smartalec
Tetrode

Default Sony TC640A Reel to Reel

Recently acquired a Sony TC640A Reel to Reel.
Everything works well except stopping from rewind.
Supply reel (Right Hand One) keeps on turning dumping lots of excess tape before coming to a halt. Any suggestions very much appreciated.
Attached photo of brake mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	184231  
Old 1st Jun 2019, 8:53 am   #2
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: Sony TC640A Reel to Reel

I've not worked on this deck but there is some adjustment on the brake spring in my picture. Try moving the spring up or down by one notch: it'll be better or worst!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-01-08-47-57-437_com.android.browser.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	184261  

BVWS member
Old 1st Jun 2019, 9:05 am   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

Make sure the brake parts are free to move and also very clean and free of oil and grease.
Old 1st Jun 2019, 9:48 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Good advice already given. The proper test is the tension needed to overcome the braking. So a cord is wound around the hub of an empty reel, attached to a spring balance. The tension for one direction is higher than the other, and both reels should match in respective tensions.
Old 1st Jun 2019, 2:40 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

What are the brake linings like, if they are worn you might have to adjust the brake lever to compensate.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 5:05 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

This looks like a similar arrangement to the TC755A. Around the spool table lower drums there is a metal brake strap with a sort of sandpapery inner lining which disintegrates. You will have to renew this with something suitable. I used some industrial adhesive tape, not ideal but the best I have found so far. Some adhesive felt for protecting floors from furniture legs would be ideal but all that I found were too thick.
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 1:04 pm   #7
smartalec
Tetrode

Default Sony TC640A Reel to Reel

Looks like i have managed to cure the tape dumping problem.
However i now have seem to have a horrible squeal coming from the brake drum on stopping,any suggestions appreciated,thanks to those who responded to my previous thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	184374  
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 1:44 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Perhaps you would be so good as to tell us how it was solved, so that it would be of use to others in the same situation. Also, surely this post would be better off in the existing thread so we can follow the progress of the repair?
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 1:53 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Threads merged
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 2:43 pm   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalec View Post
However i now have seem to have a horrible squeal coming from the brake drum on stopping,any suggestions appreciated.
Possible contaminated or hard brake pads.
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 4:33 pm   #11
smartalec
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
This looks like a similar arrangement to the TC755A. Around the spool table lower drums there is a metal brake strap with a sort of sandpapery inner lining which disintegrates. You will have to renew this with something suitable. I used some industrial adhesive tape, not ideal but the best I have found so far. Some adhesive felt for protecting floors from furniture legs would be ideal but all that I found were too thick.
I believe the Sony TC755A uses a brake band system,the TC640A uses a system very much like a brake shoe. Thanks anyway.
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 4:50 pm   #12
smartalec
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Perhaps you would be so good as to tell us how it was solved, so that it would be of use to others in the same situation. Also, surely this post would be better off in the existing thread so we can follow the progress of the repair?
Problem was solved by bending the portion of the brake lever as shown in the service manual. Page 10 Brake Torque.
Closed Thread