UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2019, 8:45 pm   #41
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve Testers

At one time valve boxes could be opened at one end in order to test them, without unwrapping, which could never be disguised.
Old 27th Feb 2019, 5:53 pm   #42
methusela
Triode

Argus25 - Offence? Certainly not! Each to his own and we have more in common than you might think. Me? I also prefer devices with recognisable units (like the desirable AVOs) but, lacking either the money or motivation to restore one, might settle for a quick Good/Bad indicator like the Mighty Mite, which can be relied upon to catch about 80% of bad’uns, although requiring intelligence to interpret. A useful serviceman’s tool, no doubt, but the arbitrariness of their scales and the fact that different manufacturers had different ideas about what constituted Good/Bad means emission testers won’t provide much in the way of universally applicable data. Transconductance, on the other hand, relates to a quoted set of values supplied by the manufacturers. Furthermore, since Mr Steinbaugh seems not to be supported elsewhere in his assertion that emission is a good test of a valve’s state of health, I feel the need for a baking tin rapidly coming over me.

Radio Wrangler & TonyDuell – See the attachment for a British scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	British Tube Tester.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	179125  
Old 28th Feb 2019, 7:23 pm   #43
avocollector
Heptode

Some time ago I bought a whole slew of earlier valves (47, 84, 36 etc) off an elderly gent and when I took them out I found they were all neatly labelled with emission % - ie 75% 67% etc. Sadly I did not notice this at the time I bought them and I rather suspect he is not longer around to answer how he got these figures - but it does argue for an emission tester with figures rather then just Bad ? Good scale.
Closed Thread