UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2021, 1:34 pm   #1
skodajag
Pentode

Default Garrard RC 80 problem

The problem is this: when started, the pick up arm moves across and drops on the record but instead of playing, after a second or two it lifts up and returns to the rest position. So somehow the auto stop mechanism is being activated prematurely, but I can’t see how or why.
Old 27th Feb 2021, 1:38 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Garrard RC 80 problem

Has this tuntable beeen cleaned and re-lubricated?

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Feb 2021, 1:56 pm   #3
skodajag
Pentode

I’ve cleaned and relubricated where I suspect the problem lies, but obviously not sufficiently...
Old 27th Feb 2021, 2:07 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

I am no expert on these but when I had this problem it was the slides that start the cam had some oil on them they should be completely clean and free without lubricant.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 28th Feb 2021, 7:42 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

The problem is with the trip pawl. It works exactly the same as the more modern ones with a couple of plates that rely on friction and need to be completely dry and free from any oil or grease - have a read up on it in the 'stickies' if you're not familiar with them. The problem is that the mechanism on these early decks looks nothing like the later decks, but works in exactly the same way, so you'll have to look closely at it and work it out for yourself. Everything's adjustable on these decks, so if it hasn't had a known history of twiddling, then don't be tempted to go go screwing things or you'll never get it back to operating properly without a lot of fiddling about. I suspect that you've either got grease on somewhere you shouldn't have, or part of the trip is still stuck and needs freeing/cleaning...I've done a few of these in the distant past and you just have to get to know them. There's a 40 page service manual available from the forum link 'up top', but whether this will help you with this particular fault, I wouldn't like to say.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 9:31 am   #6
skodajag
Pentode

Thanks Techman.