UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2021, 8:30 pm   #21
osx86apple
Pentode

Default Re: Decca Decola Restoration

Thank you everyone for your replies and assistance. It’s a lovely item and certainly hasn’t had any signs of repair, just thick layers of dust which is exposing a lovely clean/shiny chassis!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	205E838D-F2D6-4E4B-89AF-B3A428D8B70A.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	224960   Click image for larger version

Name:	22ABB6F6-E035-4816-AA71-8E22B1D13E4B.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	224961  
Old 20th Jan 2021, 10:34 am   #22
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
The one I saw at a Hi-Fi show had a Garrard 301 with a Decca arm and cartridge. It was about 1962 and was priced about £1000. Sounded far better than anything else at the show.
I have no recollection of the turntable but the arm was the Decca FFSS magnetic. That arm / cartridge was considered by far the best available at the time.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 11:35 am   #23
vidjoman
Dekatron

I’m sure it was a Garrard as it was white. The Collaro 200 was a deep cream colour.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 12:04 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

By the look of the components it appears to be a later version, certainly early 60's.
Those large Dubiliar .47uf coupling caps to pin 5 of the EL34s look original and probably have small leaks by now, enough to damage the EL34 valves and the output transformers.
Replace them before switch on! Plenty of Mullard 'Mustard. caps that will be OK unless you are very unlucky! John.
Old 20th Jan 2021, 4:12 pm   #25
Robint 47
Tetrode

Info from original Decca material i still have and now some 60 years old.Yes it used the Decca FFSS arm and the FFSS head Mk 2 white for stereo and green for 78 switching was on the pre amp control unit and from an official price list 1964 it cost 348 gns The Stereo Decola was also supplied as a seperates system here the deck was replaced by a garrard 301 in white with a Decca mk 1 head.

Robin
Old 20th Jan 2021, 5:03 pm   #26
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robint 47 View Post
..... from an official price list 1964 it cost 348 gns.
Well over £7,000 in today's terms. Easy to see why there aren't too many of them around.

Alan
Old 21st Jan 2021, 1:34 pm   #27
osx86apple
Pentode

Thank you all for your help. Does anyone have recommendations for suppliers who do the multiple capacitors in the cans ? I’ve never been a fan of restuffing !
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 6:24 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Just a thought. If you want to hear the full capabilities of this Decca stereo Decola look out for a good condition recording of Ted Heath and his music, Decca phase 4 stereo PFS 4018. It was recorded in 1962 and is quite an extraordinary recording.

If you can turn the volume up, all the better! Brings back a lot of memories for me. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BBB.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	225153  
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:16 pm   #29
osx86apple
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Just a thought. If you want to hear the full capabilities of this Decca stereo Decola look out for a good condition recording of Ted Heath and his music, Decca phase 4 stereo PFS 4018. It was recorded in 1962 and is quite an extraordinary recording.

If you can turn the volume up, all the better! Brings back a lot of memories for me. Regards, John.
Definitely going to try and get hold of this, managed to find one for sale, will keep my fingers crossed I get it
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 8:39 pm   #30
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

John beat me to it, those large .47uF caps will not doubt be failing or fail under working conditions. Had more boost caps fail when servicing valve TV's than hot dinners with those type/colour of caps. Not to mention when they were across the mains switch.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 22nd Jan 2021 at 9:05 pm.
Old 24th Jan 2021, 10:26 am   #31
osx86apple
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
John beat me to it, those large .47uF caps will not doubt be failing or fail under working conditions. Had more boost caps fail when servicing valve TV's than hot dinners with those type/colour of caps. Not to mention when they were across the mains switch.
Yes they will be swiftly replaced along with some electrolytics in the power supply, I’m not taking any chances!

Any recommendations for the output stage what to replace the .47’s with ? Being somewhat a rarer item id rather go for some better quality components
Old 24th Jan 2021, 11:52 am   #32
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Did someone mention some oil filled tubular caps recently? Not sure if they were from JustRadio or not.

Not that I think any modern well rated caps wont be fine.
Old 24th Jan 2021, 5:42 pm   #33
John Caswell
Hexode

osx86 wrote
"Any recommendations for the output stage what to replace the .47’s with ? Being somewhat a rarer item id rather go for some better quality components"
It depends upon the HT voltage but if under 400V I would go for either Mullard C296 capacitors (colloquially called "mustard caps" here ugh!!!) or or any one of the modern PET type capacitors such as the MKT 1813 types.

John
Old 24th Jan 2021, 6:21 pm   #34
Herald1360
Dekatron

I'd go for an axial polyprop 1000V type. They're of a size comparable with the existing caps. You might be able to conceal them in the old cap cases- they look like the two-tone blue grey mixed dielectric type in a rigid plastic outer shell.

Not particularly cheap- you could be looking at £15 or so for a pair, but pretty much bomb proof!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Jan 2021, 9:59 pm   #35
osx86apple
Pentode

Making some progress today

Concentrated on the PSU chassis first, started to clean it, underneath the thick layers of dust it’s very well preserved and clean. Removed the large 100uf and the triple 32/32/16 uf cans. Suitable replacements are on the way keeping to original style.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11833CC5-F4BD-4780-9769-D5BDC12AC234.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	225367  
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 9:55 pm   #36
osx86apple
Pentode

So, it’s had lots of work, turned out to be more work than I’d initially thought, but well worth it! , link below showing it’s first test. Few more bits to do, but it’s sounding good!

https://youtu.be/5kvPCxo97Yc
Old 4th Feb 2021, 9:48 am   #37
Richardgr
Heptode

Just had a listen - lovely mellow sound! Form and function, like an old Rolls Royce or Daimler. Quality like that will never be produced again.
Old 4th Feb 2021, 12:21 pm   #38
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx86apple View Post
So, it’s had lots of work, turned out to be more work than I’d initially thought, but well worth it! , link below showing it’s first test. Few more bits to do, but it’s sounding good!

It's not always easy to hear what a bit of vintage equipment will actually sound like on youtube, but in this case it sounds fantastic!
I assume you're playing an LP record?
Old 4th Feb 2021, 1:09 pm   #39
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
Just had a listen - lovely mellow sound! Form and function, like an old Rolls Royce or Daimler. Quality like that will never be produced again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post

It's not always easy to hear what a bit of vintage equipment will actually sound like on youtube, but in this case it sounds fantastic!

Interesting comments...... I'm not sure I'd agree that equipment of the quality of the Decola is no longer produced though equipment in the style would have to be bespoke.

As for listening via Youtube, that's totally dependent on the poster's recording equipment and the listener's playing equipment, never mind what happens in between as well. In my case the sound I heard on my tablet's speakers was decidedly "thin" and in no way "mellow", just clear and apparently undistorted.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Feb 2021, 3:11 pm   #40
osx86apple
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by osx86apple View Post

Unfortunately my iPhone nor YouTube will do the sound quality any justice, however it sounds so rich and detailed in the flesh. I was using Aux input this time whilst I’m wait for some rubber rejuvenator for the idler wheel on the turntable
Closed Thread