UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2021, 11:08 pm   #1
osx86apple
Pentode

Default Decca Decola Restoration

Hi Everyone

Been very lucky to find one of these, definitely not a common sight. It’s absolutely huge and weighs a ton, however I’m very pleased with it.

I’ve stripped out the output chassis and power supply for repair, however I can’t seem to locate any service data for this , can anyone help ?

Many thanks ��
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0AD50555-ECF7-44DD-BD5D-B5FE2DDA144C.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	224908  

Last edited by osx86apple; 18th Jan 2021 at 11:26 pm.
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:48 am   #2
Aubade65
Tetrode

Default Re: Decca Decola Restoration

What a lovely piece of furniture - I imagine it sounds most impressive

There is a RTVS description of the AF part of the set 'up top' - it can be downloaded for a small fee. You do not say if you have the radio section as well (it seems to be optional) but that can also be found 'up top' as a Decca service sheet.

It should sound pretty impressive with 8 triodes in the AF section with some very desirable output valves

Regards

Last edited by Aubade65; 19th Jan 2021 at 1:52 am. Reason: Grammar
Old 19th Jan 2021, 7:47 am   #3
osx86apple
Pentode

Many thanks for that. It certainly will sound impressive once sorted. I’m not sure if I’m looking in the wrong place, or as my partner would call it ‘looking with man eyes’ but I couldn’t see service data for this, only the early beau decca which has the PX25s.

It also seems there was variations of this model with some having the one chassis whereas mine has the separate PSU at the bottom and output chassis on each side
Old 19th Jan 2021, 8:20 am   #4
mole42uk
Nonode

I've worked on one of these. Very impressive sound!

A point to watch, that has escaped others, is that the biasing of the power amplifier depends on it being connected to the pre-amp. I think I have a circuit somewhere....

Yes, here we are:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power amp circuit.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	224915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre-amp circuit.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	224916  

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 19th Jan 2021, 10:07 am   #5
osx86apple
Pentode

Muchly appreciated for the diagram, is there a possibility I could have that sent to me instead as the images appear blurry my end ?
Old 19th Jan 2021, 10:13 am   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

I am very pleased that it has found a good home and not succumb to the butchers, even my wife likes it ,she has expensive taste, but I came cheap . Its a lovely thing good luck with the restoration .Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 19th Jan 2021 at 10:29 am.
Old 19th Jan 2021, 11:10 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

A copy of the Radio & Television Servicing information (including schematic) is available via the link in the top right hand corner. There's a long list of Decca models. Keep going and you will find the Decola. The data only covers the amplifier. If your's is fitted with a radio some further investigation will be needed to establish which radio chassis Decca fitted.

For reference the relevant R&TVS book is volume one of the original Molloy & Poole five volume set published in 1955.

Alan
Old 19th Jan 2021, 11:41 am   #8
osx86apple
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
A copy of the Radio & Television Servicing information (including schematic) is available via the link in the top right hand corner. There's a long list of Decca models. Keep going and you will find the Decola. The data only covers the amplifier. If your's is fitted with a radio some further investigation will be needed to establish which radio chassis Decca fitted.

For reference the relevant R&TVS book is volume one of the original Molloy & Poole five volume set published in 1955.

Alan

Hi Alan

I must be blind, I can only find one for the earlier Decca Decola , mine is fitted with the VHF tuner. Kind regards Mathew
Old 19th Jan 2021, 11:51 am   #9
G6ONEDave
Octode

It might take me a short while to find it (if it's not where I think it is) but I have a paper copy of the correct service manual for the 'Stereo Decola', as I too have one of these beasts awaiting restoration. I could do you a scan of the service manual, PM me your email if interested. BTW any chance of a close up photo of the legs with dimensional measurements? The ones on mine have been cut down to just short stumps!

Incidentally the only place I could get my copy service manual from was the British Library main storage place in Boston.
Dave
Old 19th Jan 2021, 12:06 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This is the much later 1962 [?] stereo version of the Decola with EL34 output valves?
It has little if anything common with the 1947 original FFRR Decola. I think this is where the confusion arises. John.
Old 19th Jan 2021, 12:09 pm   #11
osx86apple
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
This is the much later 1962 [?] stereo version of the Decola with EL34 output valves?
It has little if anything common with the 1947 original FFRR Decola. I think this is where the confusion arises. John.
Hi John

Yes indeed it is the later one, with the EL34s. It’s got to be over 6ft long and it weighs a ton, I dread to think how much it cost new
Old 19th Jan 2021, 12:09 pm   #12
Aubade65
Tetrode

It sounds like you have the one from the late 1950s fitted with EL34s.

There are several threads about this model on the forum with references to people renovating these sets but no service info.

May be it would be worth a punt to contact these members to see if they have some documentation that may help.

According to one these posts it cost over 300 guineas.

Regards

Last edited by Aubade65; 19th Jan 2021 at 12:11 pm. Reason: Extra Info
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:03 pm   #13
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx86apple View Post

Hi Alan

I must be blind, I can only find one for the earlier Decca Decola , mine is fitted with the VHF tuner. Kind regards Mathew
You're definitely not blind Matthew! More to the point I was making false assumptions. I should have taken more notice of the styling. Definitely later than 1947.

I wonder if the model number is one of the SRG (stereo radiogram?) series. Is there any kind of label on the cabinet or chassis which might give a clue?

Alan
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:13 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have only seen one of these. It belonged to Ted Heath the famous band leader not the politician. He recorded for DECCA and I suspect it may have been presented to him by the company.

I did have the service data for it, a number of loose sheets in a ring binder. I have checked my Decca files but alas it appears to be one of many that filled a skip when I closed my shop in 2002.

On the bright side it is a basically straightforward amplifier and with care, replacement of the sensitive coupling capacitors, if they have not already been replaced, should secure it's security.

It is without doubt the best sounding 'radiogram' ever! Nothing to touch it when operating correctly. It was designed for very large houses and those EL34s could rock a very large room. Regards, John.
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:24 pm   #15
G6ONEDave
Octode

I don't think that this radiogram ever had an SRG reference to it. It was just known as a 'Stereo Decola' as opposed to the original Decola that was mono. I believe that there was a lot of interest for this model from collectors in both America and Japan. Some 18 plus years back they were fetching over £1000 plus shipping, don't know what the value would be now. Build date is late very 1950's to very early 1960's.
Dave
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:32 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

So can only see the beautiful cabinet, so what record deck do you have in this? I might blindly guess a Garrard 4HF or the Auto version?
Old 19th Jan 2021, 1:46 pm   #17
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
I don't think that this radiogram ever had an SRG reference to it. It was just known as a 'Stereo Decola' as opposed to the original Decola that was mono.
Dave
I think you're right Dave. Certainly none of the SRG series 'grams I've found circuits for had EL34s.

Alan
Old 19th Jan 2021, 3:35 pm   #18
Robint 47
Tetrode

Yes this is a Stereo Decola using EL34 valves 13x8 bass drivers 6 tweeters angled to spray hf increasing stereo field conventional valve circuitry except the heaters for the preamp were dc. I have serviced many over the years things to watch were caps of the wima type used in the preamp,and caps in the crossover they even had there own trolleys for service and tailor made covers .Yes i do have still a full service manual includes tuner alignment can supply a scan if you supply email address, and yes i have offered to site. Robin
Old 19th Jan 2021, 3:39 pm   #19
rontech
Heptode

I remember hearing one of these at Radiolympia in 1959. It was very impressive.
Old 19th Jan 2021, 4:20 pm   #20
vidjoman
Dekatron

The one I saw at a Hi-Fi show had a Garrard 301 with a Decca arm and cartridge. It was about 1962 and was priced about £1000. Sounded far better than anything else at the show.
Closed Thread