UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jul 2013, 9:46 pm   #1
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Finding frequency from oscilloscope trace?

A bit embarrasing to have to ask this, but my brains gone to sleep on this one!

Ive just measured what is supposed to be a 10MHz line on my oscilloscope. Now, If I've got it right, 10MHz should be one 'cycle' per division at 0.1uS/div. Now, my scope doesnt do 0.1uS/div, instead I've had to use 0.2uS/div. In which I would expect I think to see 2 cycles per division if the signal was 10MHz, is this correct?

What I'm actually seeing is 3 cycles per division at 0.2uS/div. Now, this is where the old bonce has really let me down! Can someone tell me what that is in MHz please?

Is there a simple formula that will get me from MHz to uS easily?

Wish my maths was better

Martin G7MRV

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 7th Jul 2013, 9:55 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Finding frequency from oscilloscope trace?

Is the timebase control set to the CALibrate position?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:04 pm   #3
jimmc101
Heptode

Frequency = Cycles/Seconds (Hz) or Cycles/uSeconds (MHz)

so 3 cycles in 0.2uS = 3/0.2uS = 15MHz

If this is your 10MHz reference, there is no way it can be that far out; as Station X has said check that the timebase control set to the CALibrate position.
If it's not in the CAL position then the timebase could easily be running at 0.3uS/div giving 3cycles/div for a 10MHz input.

Jim
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:04 pm   #4
Dickie
Octode

Is there a simple formula that will get me from MHz to uS easily? - Yes, one is the reciprocal of the other, eg 1MHz equals 1microsecond.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:23 pm   #5
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Just been back out to check the 'scope. The 'SWP VAR' control is turned right around to the 'CAL' position, and clicked into that position (its the only thing I can see with CAL on it and its beside the timebase selector!)

The 0.2uS and 0.5uS positions both have a marking beside them saying 'MAG UNCAL', not sure if this means that the timebase could be inaccurate?

The scope is an old Hitachi V-212 if that helps anyone.

I can feed the frequency counter with it tomorrow for an electronic second opinion!

In most of my work the scope has only ever been an indication, so im afraid im not very up on using them for accurate measurements!

Richard, thanks for the note on reciprocals. I tried a few numbers and think it makes sense to me now

Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:05 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

"MAG UNCAL" sounds like the Y amp is running out of bandwidth for signals that need those sweep speeds. Maybe the timebase is too.

Does your 10MHz input make sense on the slowest speed you can count its cycles on?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:16 pm   #7
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

I'll try it again in the morning. Its a 20MHz scope so would have thought a 10MHz signal should have been manageable. I think there might be various controls to magnify the trace, whether these have any good effect on the timebase I dont know, time to dig the manual out i think.

Just realised as well that I had the probe in x10 mode, so my voltage reading needs correcting as well!

Old 8th Jul 2013, 1:16 am   #8
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G7MRV View Post
A bit embarrassing to have to ask this, but my brains gone to sleep on this one!

Instead I've had to use 0.2uS/div. In which I would expect I think to see 2 cycles per division if the signal was 10MHz, is this correct?

Martin G7MRV
Yes it is

Cheers,
Steve.
Old 8th Jul 2013, 4:03 am   #9
majoconz
Heptode

A "10MHz" scope means that the vertical amplitude of the trace at 10MHz will be not less than half (6dB) of the response at some other frequency, maybe 1MHz. It doesn't infer that the trace will be locked and the timebase accurate unfortunately! That will be a pre-production prototype of course, the manufactured version a few years old may be, well, you know.....
Old 8th Jul 2013, 9:59 am   #10
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Thanks for all the hints chaps, I have a much better idea what I'm doing now!

Retook the measurements this morning, used the sweep x10 (which I didn't realise did that!) and the 1uS setting and was able to get a nice clean trace, which when allowing for the x10 showed a perfect 10MHz. Also with the scope probe on x1 and not on x10 I could confidently read the level as well (which was 2.2v pk-pk, exactly as it should be). I discovered this probe has no markings on the switch, so that's been rectified as well!!!

Old 8th Jul 2013, 4:58 pm   #11
mole42uk
Nonode

I'm glad these things happen to other people as well...

I spend a good fifteen minutes this morning trying to find out why I was reading a 50Hz signal on a 40v DC line.....until I realised that I was using the wrong hook adapter for the scope probe, so the scope probe was't actually connected to anything!

Richard
Old 8th Jul 2013, 9:43 pm   #12
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

The "Mag Uncal" seems to mean that on the 0.2 and 0.5 Usecs/div, the magnification can not be treated as accurate. The faster speed ranges on budget scopes tend to be somewhat non-linear, and if you put a fast enough timing signal in, you quickly see the non-linearity especially at the RHS of the trace.
I assume there is a Xs 5 or Xs 10 control on the X shift control. (It may say "Pull for Xs5 for example").
Les.
Closed Thread