UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2011, 2:39 pm   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Fixing Loose Valvebases

Has anybody succesfully used heat-shrink tubing to solve the problem where the cement has failed between the glass and the bakelite base? There have been various threads on here regarding re-gluing, with no real concensus of a good method. At least heat-shrink would be a removable repair.

Andy
Old 17th Jun 2011, 3:05 pm   #2
Mr Moose
Octode

Default Re: Fixing Loose Valvebases

Hello,

I have a number of new old stock ex military valves with B4 and similar bases that have what appears to be thick heatshrink round the joint between base and glass. I presume it was put there by the military stores.

I think it is probably being used prophylactically rather than to repair bases that were already loose.

Yours, Richard
Old 17th Jun 2011, 3:08 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Araldite works very well.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 4:26 pm   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I have to say I think Araldite always looks messy if used for this! I also worry that Araldite is probably too strong and will stress the glass.

I have used 'Weldbond' which is a PVA glue which is easier to apply than Araldite (less sticky and water-soluble before it dries, I don't mind wiping it into place with a finger-end!), and dries completely clear. However, this has only been for valves I have put into my 'stores' - I don't know how well it will survive a hot valve in use.

I think I will try to buy some suitably-sized heat-shrink and test it out in this application.

Andy
Old 17th Jun 2011, 4:38 pm   #5

I dribble some cellulose lacquer down the gap, easy to get from a squirt of aerosol into the cap.

Old 17th Jun 2011, 6:05 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

I pop a dab onto the end of a cable tie and "grout" the gap between the envelope and base.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 8:58 pm   #7
llama
Octode

If you're going to use the heat-shrink method it might be worth looking out for the type with adhesive on the inside.
Graham
Old 17th Jun 2011, 9:56 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Another idea....high temperature silcon, the red stuff..this silicon will stick well to the glass envelope, this stuff will certainly take the temperature that most valves churn out. I have used it upto 200 c +
Cheers.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 10:53 pm   #9
theoldtrout
Hexode

I've successfully used clear nail polish [lacquer] It wicks down nicely between the glass and base and doesn't set too hard. I've also used it to stop arcing between tracks on a PCB.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 11:37 pm   #10
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
Here is a picture of a VR21 with what appears to be heatshrink.

http://r-type.org/exhib/aaa0004.htm

Yours, Richard
Old 18th Jun 2011, 10:55 am   #11
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Another suggestion I have been given is to use shellac sanding sealer, as the original cement is shellac-based.
Lots of diverse ideas, thanks everyone.
Andy
Old 18th Jun 2011, 2:00 pm   #12
crackle
Rest in Peace

What about superglue, it runs into every crevice, I swear by it, I dont see why it should not work for this application. As it is so runny it would also bond any of the original cement if loose or crumbling
Old 18th Jun 2011, 3:21 pm   #13
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
What about superglue, it runs into every crevice, I swear by it, I dont see why it should not work for this application. As it is so runny it would also bond any of the original cement if loose or crumbling
I hear that superglue is a bad idea for sticking glass. While it's very strong, it shrinks slightly when it sets. This stresses the glass and it breaks. How do I know this? Older Land Rover sliding windows have a little glass block glued to them as a handle. They fall off, inevitably. People glue them back on with superglue, and the glass then breaks, leaving a neat crater where the bond used to be.

I wouldn't risk superglue on valves, even though the glass is thinner.

Chris
Old 18th Jun 2011, 4:07 pm   #14
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Superglue is not a good idea on valves due to the risk of cracking, (using it to stick mirrors on car windscreens can be equally disasterous! ) see also:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...se+valve+bases

Regards, Mick.
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 2:04 am   #15
Ebrew567
Retired Dormant Member

fwiw I use standard Araldite around the joint but then bind 1 layer PVC electrical tape over the araldite. This forces glue into the joint. Leave it somewhere warm (hot water cupboard) 24 Hrs and then wind off the electrical tape. A nice fillet of glue remains.
Closed Thread