UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2020, 2:03 pm   #1
Sxarchie
Triode

Default Ferguson videostar 8922 will not eject

I have a 1980 Ferguson videostar 8922 been playing tapes well then a tape became stuck the machine is in play position the only keys that press down are stop & pause taken the top off the tray & machine but the tape will not come out is there a manual way to lift the tray up thanks
Old 26th Apr 2020, 7:07 pm   #2
davyrocket2
Pentode

Default Re: Ferguson videostar 8922 will not eject

You can undo the four screws on the bottom cover then there are two screws on each corner of the board. You can pivot the board open with the machine upside down you will see the belts the one that goes around a very large flywheel can be turned with the stop key pressed and this should allow the tape loading arms to rectract and after that you can rotate the smaller take up clutch to wind the slack tape into the cassette .

You will have a hard job to purchase a belt kit, but try a Google search.
Old 26th Apr 2020, 7:38 pm   #3
gallowfields
Hexode

yes its likely to be the capstan belt ,you could try cleaning the belts with isopropyl [after you have released the tape of course] and even turn the capstan over to get it going temporory
Old 26th Apr 2020, 8:58 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Think you will find the belts stretched or perished.
Old 26th Apr 2020, 10:18 pm   #5
Sxarchie
Triode

Thanks all for the quick replies I will give it a go I’m sure it’s a quick fix it would be a shame to condemn this fine machine to the scrap heap
Cheers
Old 27th Apr 2020, 5:19 pm   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

Which chassis was this, it reminds me of a Multi Broadcast machine?

Sorry...................3V22
Old 28th Apr 2020, 8:58 am   #7
Sxarchie
Triode

Thanks everyone for your advice.

The tape is now free ,checked the belts they all seem OK, just need a good clean up inside. All the buttons now push down.

I do have a new issue, not sure if I have knocked something, but when I press play the pins that load the tape to the video head are no longer moving. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 28th Apr 2020, 12:31 pm   #8
davyrocket2
Pentode

have a look to the right hand side of the tuner board there is a uppermost capstan belt directly above the tape counter belt this probaly needs replacing and the lower capstan belt may be slipping remove and boil it for 5 mins and replace it you may find it then works but is likely to be a short term fix
Old 28th Apr 2020, 4:23 pm   #9
davyrocket2
Pentode

draw a diagram showing where each belt goes and Cricklewood is the place to get them but you will need to go there so they can measure each belt and give you a slightly shorter belt.I would find them in google so you have the address and phone number for when the lockdown ends as you seem to be in London area a bus ride or tube they are easy to find
Old 28th Apr 2020, 10:11 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxarchie View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice.

The tape is now free ,checked the belts they all seem OK, just need a good clean up inside. All the buttons now push down.
I can assure you, the belts are not OK! The reason why tapes stick in these units is that the thick belt around the capstan flywheel (which is also responsible for loading and unloading the tape) goes slightly slack, and under load it tends to stick. Unless this is changed, you will be back to square one before long.
Old 28th Apr 2020, 11:55 pm   #11
Sxarchie
Triode

Well everything seems to be pointing towards new belts. I will try the supplier in Cricklewood unless someone knows of another one. I will also have another look at the machine again at the weekend & re examine the belts just to double check.
Thanks for all your advice everyone
Old 30th Apr 2020, 2:02 pm   #12
jayceebee
Heptode

As many have said the belts will need replacing. Try the boiling trick and also use rubber restorer to prove the point, I’ve used a product called platenclene until replacements could be obtained to good effect.

Have a look here for various views of the deck. It’s a different model but mechanically it’s quite similar.

John.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 2:38 pm   #13
jayceebee
Heptode

I’ve no connection or have ever used this company but they appear to be showing limited stock. The JVC HR-3300 is the near equivalent to your machine, maybe some changes to the take up clutch.

https://www.wagneronline.com.au/vide...-5470/2197/pd/
Old 1st May 2020, 8:48 pm   #14
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

That machine is the same as my JVC HR-3330. The capstan belt doubles as a loading/unloading belt and when it gets worn, the machine won't do anything.
Old 8th May 2020, 9:27 am   #15
birksholt
Pentode

Ive bought this belt kit from here and confirm its the correct one. It is for the version of the mechanism with the big long square belt rather than the one with the little belt and extra idler though so you might have to find a little belt if yours has that mech. The rest of the belts are the same. https://nikkoe.com/vs-9500-9800-vide...or-akai-7.html

Last edited by birksholt; 8th May 2020 at 9:32 am.
Old 11th May 2020, 7:48 pm   #16
Sxarchie
Triode

Found this company www.nhecomponents.com very good customer service , belts arrived today they were cheap $3.50 but I opted for express courier Which is quite expensive there are cheaper Delivery options ,Will attempt to fit the belts myself at the weekend Fingers crossed
Cheers
Old 11th May 2020, 10:07 pm   #17
ben
Dekatron

Take photos of what goes where beforehand. Also, clean the contact surfaces of the pulleys with a q -tip dipped in meths. The last thing you want to do is have the new belts contaminated with crud!
Old 16th May 2020, 2:40 pm   #18
Sxarchie
Triode

Belts have now been fitted pulleys & everything in the vcr cleaned, this is now the issue I have the vcr ejects ff but does not rew & when you press play the tape loads on to the video head for about 10 seconds then stops any ideas?
I would show you a video of what’s happening so I tried to up load a video of the top & bottom of the machine while in play for some reason this site doesn’t accept file from an iPad ?
Thanks all
Old 24th May 2020, 10:14 am   #19
Sxarchie
Triode

Had a look at it again this weekend & decided to put everything back together which included fitting the top cover & would you believe it it worked I thing there must be some sensor that stopped it from playing
There is one issue when you press play the tape is moves quite slow looking at the pinch roller it looks shiny & has some cracks if I replace it do you think this would fix it
Cheers
Old 24th May 2020, 10:16 am   #20
Station X

If the covers were off it's quiet likely the sensors were affected by ambient light. Been there, done that!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread