UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2019, 9:19 pm   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Ferguson Videosafe.

Hi all,

I came across two NOS Ferguson Videosafe 'Anti-Theft' doofers today.

I'm just wondering how many people remember these things, and if you have any stories of them actually
warding off thieves. Haha.

Regards
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_210927.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	190128   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_210934.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	190129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_211007.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	190130  
Old 13th Sep 2019, 11:06 pm   #2
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Re: Ferguson Videosafe.

I remember one of them was featured in an episode of Juliet Bravo concerning a gang of VCR thieves who used a canal boat as a base.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 3:38 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's easy to forget how valuable and sought after VCRs were then. Never seen one of these, but I have come across a cover that prevented toys and so on being put into the machine.
I had a customer whose young child was always putting things in the 'letter box' on the VCR. Exasperated she had a handyman come and fit a shelf well out of the horror's reach. Unfortunately, the machine didn't work in its new position, so I was called in. Yes, inside was the handyman's masonry drill bit...
Old 14th Sep 2019, 8:24 pm   #4
Snarf81
Heptode

Oh, I remember those things Glyn!
I remember seeing those covers for sale in Poundstretcher back in the late 80s. Haha.

Mentioning toys and so on being put into the cassette slots, I remember being banned from using our family piano key toploader Baird vhs VCR by my parents when I was little for 'firing' my Masters of the Universe figures up in to the air by pressing the eject key. That ban lasted until one of my parents couldn't be bothered to get up out of the chair and operate it.
I tried 'firing' my figures from my Grandparents Sanyo betamax toploader, but that was too gentle and smooth and didn't fling the figures very far.

When I got hold of a Ferguson 3V22 last year, one of the 1st things I did was fire off a few figures for old times sake. Oops.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 8:47 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I am pretty sure there was a Maplin project to make a motion sensor alarm inside an empty VHS cassette shell. You loaded it into the machine and it went off if the machine was moved. It didn't lock in place and could be ejected normally though.

Somewhere I should have the one I made in the mid 1990s...
Old 16th Sep 2019, 12:09 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - the little windmill that damped the eject would frequently fail.
Closed Thread