UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:09 am   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Five band colour coded resistors.

Ok

So I show my ignorance again.

I have a resistor here - it has 5 bands

Brown 1
Red 2
Brown 1 zero
Gold 5%
Pink ?

If I use a meter I get 120.4 ohm
using a 4 band system I get 120 ohm at 5%

What is that pink band about?

SEAN
Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:20 am   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Five band colour coded resistors.

Hi,
I have a box of ex- GPO resistors and they have a pink band as well. I think it might indicate special quality grade components, but not 100% sure.
Cheers, Pete
Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:21 am   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Pink was used to designate 'high stability' in the says (days) when ordinary resistors were carbon composition.
Examples are the Erie 'cracked carbon' type, which may be what you are looking at.
Modern film resistors are high stability by their nature.
Andy
Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:22 am   #4
geeoboeh2s
Rest in Peace

The pink, or more correctly salmon, was used to show that the resistor was of high stability.

Chris
Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:34 am   #5
SeanStevens
Octode

As usual - a very speedy response - thanks

I guess, like the % tolerance colour, there are are other colours used for this range - although a quick look on the web was not that fruitful..... until I added 'Salmon'.

I have found this:

Quote:
Sometimes a SALMON coloured band was added to the end of a 4 banded resistor to indicate high stability

Hold on though! Resistors made for military use will often also have 5 bands, the FIFTH band denotes reliability, or failure rate. I'm told that these have 2 bands wide spaced and separate from the other 3 (unconfirmed). Value is read as for a 4 band resistor.
http://highfields-arc.co.uk/construc...nfo/resist.htm

SEAN
Old 31st Dec 2012, 11:01 am   #6
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

I was in the same dilemmer (dilemma) the other day, until I found this very useful website, put the colour's (colours) in and it tells you the value.

Must be my old age, I can't seem to remember as well as I used too.

Paul.
Old 31st Dec 2012, 11:07 am   #7

It is fortunate that the sometimes unreadable 4 value + 1 or two other band resistors arrived at the same time as digital multimeters.

Closed Thread