UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2009, 10:52 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Ever Ready 5019 dial (1937)

This dial is printed onto a thin plastic sheet about 1mm thick, which has discoloured and warped. Gentle cleaning with warm water has been successful, but the warping is the worst problem as it fouls the dial pointer. I've tried flattening the dial between heavy books but with no success.

Before I take a hair dryer to it, can anyone advise me of a safe way of flattening this dial out? It seems quite stiff but pliable, although I would hate to crack it as the legend is in good condition.

I've scanned the image, just in case...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready 5019 dial scan cleaned 75%.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	30135  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 13th Nov 2009, 1:10 am   #2
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ever Ready 5019 dial (1937)

Good question, I will be interested in the responses. I have been pondering the same problem with an AC86 dial. I have an additional problem in that the dial is quite brittle and already has a split. I have considered heating it but I am concerned about shrinkage. I was considering sandwiching it between some metal plates and then heating it. I was thinking that being held firmly between two plates it would not shrink. However as it is brittle I think I will only end up splitting it further

Last edited by Paul LS; 13th Nov 2009 at 1:17 am.
Old 13th Nov 2009, 7:45 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

I wouldn't use heat. The chances are, it's cellulose nitrate sheet which is highly flammable (as in many cinema fires from flammable film). It buckles because it's not particularly stable chemically.

I'd suggest, take a scan or scale photograph with an accurately set up camera, and try to reproduce using a laser colour printer on a OHP film, backed with translucent polyester sheet - which will stay flat indefinitely.
Old 13th Nov 2009, 8:03 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I have flattened dials like this buy warming them and then flattening them between books etc.

However, they've always returned to their old shape within a few weeks at best, so IMHO I don't think it's worth the risk or bother
Old 13th Nov 2009, 9:03 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
or scale photograph with an accurately set up camera,
I'd be interested in further details of how to do this. I'd like to scan the A22 dial full size but don't have an A3 scanner. I do however have a fairly good camera but no idea of how to take a picture that will print the correct size.

Resizing it will certainly lose or change detail so it would be ideal to take the photo the correct size in the first place. (Hope that makes sense)

Dave
Old 13th Nov 2009, 9:34 pm   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks for the ideas, guys, and noted that it could be made of cellulose nitrate. Thank goodness I'm a non-smoker... I could actually print the scan of the scale out onto plain paper, as being a battery set it is not illuminated from behind, more's the pity - I was thinking about placing a 15 watt 230 volt pigmy bulb somewhere in the cabinet, so that when the set is running off its Amplion battery eliminator its dial can be lit up.

David, I have access to an A3 scanner at work. If you can risk posting me your A22 dial, I could scan it for you - please PM if interested.

Old 14th Nov 2009, 12:40 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

You could confirm the material if you slice off a thin sliver (0.5 - 1mm) with a ruler and sharp scalpel, and set light to this.

Cellulose nitrate doesn't melt, or drop blobs of hot plastic. It burns cleanly, with little smoke - and it does it like there's no tomorrow! This might settle your mind about putting a 15W bulb inside.
Old 25th Nov 2009, 10:21 am   #8
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

Well I placed my AC86 dial in a thick book on the bottom shelf of an oven preheated to 200C for 10 minutes, removed from the oven and left to cool overnight. It has removed the multiple directional warps and now there is just one gently curve in the dial which I should be able to take out during mounting. My main problem now is the long split in the dial. I wonder, has anyone tried laminating a dial in one of those inexpensive laminating machines?
Old 25th Nov 2009, 4:11 pm   #9
batterymaker1
Heptode

Here you go--print this on some plastic stock and cut it out. Don't know the sizing, so since you have the original, measure it out and add a few mm. That should take care of it.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ever Ready 5019 dial scan cleaned 75.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	30521  
Old 25th Nov 2009, 11:31 pm   #10
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks for all the tips, guys, and to Bill for cleaning up the scan which I will file safely for future reference. The warning about flammability is appreciated, so I'll use a 5 watt CFL rather than a 15 watt pigmy lamp...

Since my last posting, I have had some success by warming the dial over a gentle convector heater, gently bending it against the direction of the warping, and promptly sandwiching it between two ceramic tiles under a heavy weight. Result - warping almost gone. A week later it hasn't changed.

I've got more work to do on chassis and cabinet, so won't be reassembling the set for a couple of weeks, but I'll report back in due course. Thanks again,

Closed Thread