UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2020, 10:38 am   #1
pgantley
Diode

Default HMV 1356 - Tuning Glass

Hi All, Working on this radio restore and looks like a previous owner has attempted to draw the frequency details back on by hand in some sort of waxy material. The glass was really dirty so I had to try and clean it. Even though I was really careful, most detail has simply wiped away.
I was thinking of finding someone who has the same radio, asking them to take a really close up of the glass and then to see if I could find some sort of printer transfer so I could then print out then transfer onto the glass. Kind of like the stuff you put in water then slide onto a surface.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really welcome

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner Glass 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	199739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner Glass 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	199740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner Glass 3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	199741  
Old 26th Feb 2020, 2:46 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: HMV 1356 - Tuning Glass

Hi PG, hope you manage to get a decent scan of the dial. I had a look at Past Times Radio but it's not there. If you get a good hi-res scan (without keystone effect), there are a few hints in Post #2 of this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...9551concerning production of the transfers. Good luck and feel free to ask for more advice assuming you get that far. Cheers, Jerry

Last edited by cathoderay57; 26th Feb 2020 at 2:59 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 5:16 pm   #3
pgantley
Diode

Hi Jerry,
Thank you very much for the advice. Appreciate it.

Sadly, no image yet, I'll keep looking. I'm sure I'll find something eventually. I've had an idea of printing onto acetate then sliding that under the glass, just got to replicate the details.

It's going to be a long restore this one, it's in a right old state. By the looks of it, it's had a long hard life so I think I'm going to keep this one so I can take my time and do this one thoroughly.

Thanks again for the advice Jerry.

Paul.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 6:45 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Interesting set though I restored one in the 90's and was amazed to find this relatively small set has a push pull output stage.

I don't think I still have it. It was probably moved on in one of my big culls of the early noughties.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Feb 2020, 8:54 am   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi Paul, providing you could get acetate sheet thin enough for your printer to cope with, that idea might work. The water slide transfers are made to be compatible with ink-jet or laser printers (there are 2 types so you need the right one) and you can buy a couple of sheets cheaply on eBay or in craft shops. It's easy to re-size and flip the image in MS Word or other apps so that it appears in reverse as you will be viewing it from the other side of the glass once it is stuck on. If you use an inkjet printer you need to seal the print with acrylic lacquer so that the ink doesn't run prior to wetting for application. Cheers, Jerry
Old 27th Feb 2020, 11:51 pm   #6
pgantley
Diode

Mike, I had no idea it has a push pull feature, Ill check this when i get home. Did you have the cream color or the brown ? mines the cream color, its a ****** to try & match.

Jerry, I've found a picture online I think I can use, its a pretty close up clear shot of the details on the glass. Ill go ahead and try the transfer onto acetate idea, I've got a fancy laser printer so Ill order some acetate from ebay. Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers for the advice

Paul.
Closed Thread