UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:07 pm   #1
coopzone
Hexode

Default A very sad DAC 10

Just a short post showing a before and after shot of a DAC10 i am working on.

It came from a well known internet auction site, sadly the packaging consisted of being wrapped up in a plastic bag. It didn’t end well!

I bought it for my dad, his mom had one of these sets (my nan). I can remember it from when i was about 6 or 7 years old. So to say i was disappointed is an understatement. Anyway i negotiated a new price for what was left and all was ok from that point of view.

The first photo does not show all the damage, the speaker was adrift for example because the bakelite was so badly damaged, the rear was just as bad. The good news is that i can confirm valves are a lot tougher that you think! One was loose in the back of the radio - impressive when you think these are valve bases with metal clips!

Initially I was just going to scrap the chassis for spare parts and be done. But it sat on the floor awaiting burial. After a few days and i got bored it had to happen. I decided to try my hand at gluing it back together, 3-d jigsaw! time.

It’s never going to win any beauty contests and it’s value must now be below the cost of the parts i used (after a full re-cap, re-wire etc). But hey i’m not doing this for the money! I don’t care what it is or is not worth - to me it’s worth every penny spent and the hours of work put in.

PS. Anyone got a DAC10 case they want to get a new home for?

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190726_123448.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	188819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	188820  
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:15 pm   #2
deliverance
Heptode

Default Re: A very sad DAC 10

In the past I have had a few damaged in transit . Good on you repairing it and saving it from burial.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:55 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Not bad at all considering.
Old 24th Aug 2019, 6:31 pm   #4
music-centre
Heptode

Its come up well, poor thing certainly had a hammering - amazing the dial survived
Old 24th Aug 2019, 7:01 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

I don't think that's a bad job at all, considering. It's all part of a set's living history, anyway!

Now, if radios could talk for themselves, of the broadcasts they reproduced, and the events unfolding before them, there would surely be some fascinating material there .....
Old 24th Aug 2019, 7:04 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That is good,possibly a bit of brown stain on joints might be better still?
Old 24th Aug 2019, 9:23 pm   #7
kestrelmusic
Hexode

I've reassembled a badly damaged Bakelite case in the past. Good quality cyanoacrylate adhesive will do the job, but it's better to do one joint at a time and let the glue cure properly, as there are always stresses in the Bakelite which will tend to pull joints apart unless you are very lucky. I use brown dental moulding compound to fill any missing bits - it moulds nicely when it is warm, but sets hard at room temperature and is a pretty good match for the original colour.
Old 25th Aug 2019, 10:08 am   #8
coopzone
Hexode

Thanks for all the comments

KestrelMusic, wher do you get brown dental moulding compound from?
Old 25th Aug 2019, 12:43 pm   #9
D.Finney
Pentode

Good job, the repair is not noticeable.
Closed Thread