UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2020, 3:27 pm   #1
Nicknack
Diode

Default Help needed please.

I have just inherited the below plus 6 more I haven’t go to yet.
I have no idea what I have got and they are all in various states. I have not plugged any of them in due to the amount of dust and the fact they have been in an attic for many years. Is it worth getting them repaired and is it expensive?
Many thanks

Siemens StandardSuper Typ RC10
Telefunken Dacapo
Grundig Type 3041W
Neckermann Konzertmeister Nr. 101/70
Grundig Type 2042W
Loewe Opta Meteor Type 2781W
NordMende PhonoSuper
Union 56/ 3 D
Bernau / Nauen (1) 15/1806
Blaupunkt F51W
Grundig with no back only reference is 08255
Philips Jupiter
Loewe Opta Meteor Type 1781W
Old 24th Feb 2020, 3:39 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Help needed please.

Don't plug them in as that may cause damage.

There are some nice models there, but I can't see anything hugely valuable. Professional restoration is expensive and only worth doing if there is a particular radio you want to keep and use. If you aren't particularly interested in vintage radios then your best approach would be to sell them individually on eBay, unrestored and collection only. As you're in London you have a lot of potential buyers nearby.

Values are difficult to predict, but are likely to be in the £10-£50 range. Cosmetic condition is very important, though dust is easy enough to clean off.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 5:12 pm   #3
Nicknack
Diode

Many thanks for your help, i would like to keep a couple and get them restored to keep them in the family. When you say expensive, can you give me a ball park of how much to restore?
Some of them are in very good condition and 3 or 4 are missing a button or two.
I do have pictures?
Old 25th Feb 2020, 9:04 am   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Impossible to quote a price for restoration as the problems are just not known. Could be a fuse or a major re-work!
Restoration might also include the cosmetics as well as the electronics.
Photos of the ones you want keep might help.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 3:24 pm   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

The Siemens RC10 is a nice 6-valve AM/FM radio with 3 speakers from 1960. Telefunken Dacapo similar but about 1954. Grundig 3041W also 1953/4 but slightly more unusual valves. I could go on, but all of these German sets are fairly similar and would perform excellently once restored. If you're lucky and the valves are OK then a number of capacitors will need replacing at least. Base your choice on visual cosmetic condition then I recommend you id the sets you want restored and post a request on this Forum in the repairs wanted section to generate a price. Cheers, Jerry
Old 25th Feb 2020, 4:18 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Impossible to quote a price for restoration as the problems are just not known. Could be a fuse or a major re-work!
Restoration might also include the cosmetics as well as the electronics.
Photos of the ones you want keep might help.
As Edward says, it's impossible to give a very precise estimate because the amount of work is unknown - we don't know anything about condition or previous work done, or what level of cosmetic restoration you require. A very rough guesstimate would be £100-£200 each, though it's possible that a really good job would cost even more. You should be very suspicious of any supposedly professional restorer who is prepared to do the work for under £100.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 1:40 am   #7
Nicknack
Diode

Thank you very much for the advice, really appreciate it
Closed Thread