UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2014, 10:26 pm   #1
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beovision 30xx/77xx power switch replacement - is it hard to do?

I have two of these sets I use regularly and both have been stuck permanently in the on position for some time now. I can live with that and just use the socket switch, but one of them is now occasionally popping out and turning off. So I should probably replace the switches. I don't want it arcing or anything. Problem is, I got the impression before that it's difficult to do and I'd like some idea what the challenge is? My initial investigations suggest it's simple, so I guess I'm missing something?

The other challenge of course is finding a new switch to fit! I'm hoping to not end up getting another same vintage switch used as I guess it won't last so well if these two are representative of their life span.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 7th Sep 2014, 10:32 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Beovision 30xx/77xx power switch replacement - is it hard to do?

It is easy enough to do but as you've discovered nothing else really fits and you can't get the "proper" ones any more.

On the plus side, the push button is seperate from the switch and there is plenty of room on the little "shelf" to file away material, drill new holes, make brackets etc to fit whatever you want. I've used the "universal" type switches in these sets many times, it is a bit of a faff to to get them to fit "just right" but it can be done.

Make sure whatever you do is safe and sturdy though.
Old 8th Sep 2014, 12:22 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

You could try a photo. I have a few orphans, as I suspect do many of us.
Old 8th Sep 2014, 6:23 pm   #4
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Just realised I meant to type 33xx, not 30xx.

Anyway, thank you both for the suggestions. On this advice I've had a closer look and removed it to investigate. I think the difficult to replace comments from before must have been down to the problems finding replacements, not the actual process of replacing it as taking it out isn't difficult.

I may have found the same style switch new to replace it though. It looks the same shape, has the same connections, is suitable for 250V, and from my measurements I took, appears to be the same dimensions. I'll share what happens when it's here and the product number if it works. The 6A rating is plenty for a TV, but will the inrush current matter? I need at least a 10A fuse in the plug, or it blows.

If this doesn't work out, I'll try a photo or perhaps modifying the sets for a new switch type. I'm not too worried about originality, but the beovision 9000 is in perfect condition though, could have been bought yesterday, so I'm reluctant to do anything that might damage it.

Last edited by Okto1984; 8th Sep 2014 at 6:36 pm.
Old 8th Sep 2014, 9:29 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there
If you use a switch designed for a large-screen CRT television, then it will be of the right specification. It's worth ordering a couple to see which one needs the least modification to fit - the Ferguson and Philips/Sony types spring to mind as possibles.
If you give us an idea of the dimensions (I've forgotten!) I'll have a look for you - like most other TV repairers I have a lot of obsolete switches in stock.
Glyn
Old 9th Sep 2014, 12:10 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

It it is a Beovision 9000 just short the switch out and use the one that is operated by the door (if it still works and isn't jammed up with fluff), simple!
Old 9th Sep 2014, 8:35 pm   #7
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Studio263, I didn't realise the sliding door has a second switch, despite owning this TV for many years! I never tried to close it before with the set on as it didn't seem a useful thing to do. It does however still work.

Hi Glyn, you for the kind offer to look in your switch collection. I'm not sure right now if I'll actually need you to though, as I currently have a couple of switches coming in the post, which I hope from the photo and data sheet will be a good match:

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/c...h-2-pole-onoff

If you're curious however, you can find very detailed measurements in the data sheet under 'downloads', which appear to perfectly match the original switch.

Also, I'm wondering if Toneluck (who make the ones I've ordered) are a good make? My current (broken) switch from the 7802 doesn't have any branding, so no idea who made it. I may discover some more when I look inside the 9000, but it's a bit harder as there is less room inside the case, so I've not tried yet.
Old 10th Sep 2014, 3:22 am   #8
ntscuser
Hexode

I notice that switch has a plastic shaft, I assume it is of the push-on, push off type?

Does the original also have a plastic shaft or is it steel?

Also is there a high value resistor wired-in as in my Philips?
Old 10th Sep 2014, 2:13 pm   #9
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, this switch sits inside the TV case and is pushed by a bigger plastic button on the front. I think it's described as a latching switch. The main thing is that it switches on or off each time you push it, but the shaft always returns to the original position.

The original has a plastic shaft too. It's basically identical looking, with the exception of the markings.

I saw no resistor near the switch when I disassembled it. I also looked in the schematic and there's no resistor nearby. The mains comes straight in to the switch, with the wires soldered on to the switch, then two more go off from the other two terminals to the power supply board. On the board, there's a fuse, an X2 capacitor and then a transformer. The first resistor I encountered was *after* this transformer, so I don't think this is what you're thinking about?
Old 10th Sep 2014, 6:41 pm   #10
ntscuser
Hexode

Sounds like a straight swap to me?
Old 11th Sep 2014, 5:56 pm   #11
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

The switches came today, and it was a little more work than I hoped, but not too bad in the end.

They're almost identical to the originals in shape and size - but the mounting holes on the metal panel are slightly wider. However, this required altering the new switch rather than the TV, so all was good. I drilled them out a bit more until they matched the holes in the TV, then installed the switch with some nuts and bolts to make sure it would be firmly attached. The length of the shaft and the distance however is perfect.

The terminals also go through both sides of the switch - which I didn't see from the photo. I clipped off the ones on the bottom as I don't need them and they were in the way. They face a thick plastic board that's internal to the TV, so I feel it's safe enough to have some exposed live parts here. There's plenty more elsewhere inside the set anyway.

I'd prefer the exact switch, but I think these did well enough. They were pretty easy to modify and with bolts they're solidly attached.
Closed Thread