UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2017, 12:15 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default Log pot using a linear one

I want to build a little audio mixer for my Grand-son. Ideally passive. I bought some cheap pots off ebay - all the cheap ones seem to be linear. I opted for 10k but I think 100k would have been a better choice.

Be that as it may, I'd like to approximate a log progression by simply using a fixed resistor from wiper to one end.

The attachments show my calculations using various fixed resistors. Is there an easy way to tell if any of them come anywhere near a log curve? Could be more widely useful than just this query.
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LinLogAppx.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	154595  
Attached Files
File Type: xls LinLog.xls (28.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 29th Dec 2017, 12:25 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Log pot using a linear one

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
The attachments show my calculations using various fixed resistors. Is there an easy way to tell if any of them come anywhere near a log curve? Could be more widely useful than just this query.
Yes, Google> pot log curve

Then click on Google images.

EDIT: Taper resistor usually 20% of the track value.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 29th Dec 2017 at 12:49 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 12:57 pm   #3
pmmunro
Octode

Is this any help?

PMM
Attached Files
File Type: xls Pot_ Law.xls (15.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 29th Dec 2017, 1:41 pm   #4
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Pse don't forget that the impedance of the pot + resistor with vary with pot position, reaching a minimum of about the 80% of the resistor value at max volume. You will end up with 1.6k for the example above.

Ken
Old 29th Dec 2017, 2:56 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

It will be a reasonable approximation of a log pot. It'll be good enough I expect.
Old 29th Dec 2017, 3:02 pm   #6
Wellington
Hexode

Some links here that might be of use, particularly the last one…
Old 29th Dec 2017, 4:12 pm   #7
llama
Octode

Useful comments and links all. Thanks so much. The Google search suggested also provided this link:

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/a...dex.mvp/id/838

which suggests another configuration, namely series resistor plus linear pot wired as a variable resistor. I guess that's a current/voltage "dual" cf the normal arrangement and might help with the variable input z which I hadn't considered.
As a simple try-out, the 2k2 option looks like it'll behave well.
Thanks again. Hope others find this refresher useful!
Graham
Old 29th Dec 2017, 4:40 pm   #8
mhennessy
Dekatron

If you want to use the ones you've got, you could also use an active Baxandall gain control circuit, which gives a log law with a linear pot. See here (scroll down about a third of the way): http://sound.whsites.net/project01.htm

This is also good bed-time reading: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/tidu034/tidu034.pdf

It's easy to be put off by these circuits as they require op-amps, but you'd require those anyway to make a mixer. Trying to keep it entirely passive is fraught with complexity. More about mixing circuits here: http://sound.whsites.net/articles/audio-mixing.htm

Alternatively, buy some 100k pots, and feed each one of those into the 10k input resistors of a virtual earth mixer (figure 4 at above link). Only 1 op-amp needed (2 for stereo), and Zin remains at 9k or more (put 1k in series with the 100k pot to ensure it never goes below 10k, or use 12k instead of 10k for the mix resistors). As a rule of thumb, line inputs should be 10k or more, so this will be fine.

If you want to use the 10k pots in a circuit like this, you'll need to buffer them first, and then use ~1k mix resistors. An emitter follower would be OK, and the biasing components could be shared between channels...

Whichever you use, watch out for DC currents in the pots - these wreck 'em!
Old 29th Dec 2017, 6:53 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Un-switched log pots (and lin) in a range of values are only 85 pence each from Bowood Electronics, (no VAT, Min order value £5.00). £2.85 P&P:

https://www.bowood-electronics.co.uk...cfbe639965e0fd

Hope that's of interest.
Old 30th Dec 2017, 12:10 am   #10
Stockden
Heptode

Does this help?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tailoring Pots 300.pdf (383.6 KB, 107 views)
Closed Thread