UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2017, 1:33 pm   #21
marlowradio
Triode

Default Re: Using MMIC's

Hi Wendy,
which PCB software are you using in that picture as I am trying my hand at PCB making and seeing what other people use.

Many Thanks
Steve
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:02 am   #22
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Steve. I use DIPTRACE Standard which now costs $395. 1000 pins 4 layers. It still seems to have bugs, and there is a newer version but it is EXPENSIVE. My favourite was PROTEL, but that disappeared ages ago.
There are free packages from RS and similar but I have not tried them.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 24th Dec 2017, 6:19 pm   #23
dominicbeesley
Octode

I can recommend KiCad, it takes some getting used to but is free and well supported. D
Old 27th Dec 2017, 2:56 pm   #24
Wendymott
Octode

Hi peeps...... Got bored with Xmas.. rejigged the MMIC amplifier. As the 2nd MAR 6 was limited in output voltage, I replaced with a Gali-84. This improved the output level to 2.12V RMS @ 100Mhz. into 50R.
Initially there was a little problem with the output level changing at higher levels, but two through earth points either side of the ground pin at the Gali 84 cured the problem. I had fitted a copper foil groundplane on the top side.
The final amp now has a 7808 regulator to handle the 100m/A current of the Gali84 and the MAR-06... total current consumption 160m/A
The original idea was to make an amp that I could "overdrive" the Switchable output filter of my SSB signal generator, as found there was some distortion on the 80 and 40 M bands. Without messing about too much with the diode switching, I decided to make a signal that will hopefully overload the filter to find out where the distortion is coming in.
That is the next job.. Testing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB Screen shot.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	154502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top label.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	154503   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCH Ver 2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	154504  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 27th Dec 2017, 6:03 pm   #25
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
Hi Steve. I use DIPTRACE Standard which now costs $395. 1000 pins 4 layers. It still seems to have bugs, and there is a newer version but it is EXPENSIVE. My favourite was PROTEL, but that disappeared ages ago.
Old PCB packages never die, they just get re-routed. PROTEL has become Altium Designer and got more expensive. I use it professionally and it costs me a small fortune but is worth it for compatibility with my clients.

Chris
Old 27th Dec 2017, 8:55 pm   #26
Wendymott
Octode

After I lost Protel, as it was DOS Based and then Tango also DOS based, even with adaptors to work via windows 7 I did not have the Laser Printer drivers, thus no good at all. So I finished up with Diptrace. which works for me.
Talk about Eyewatering.... you seen the price...........Sorry Protel. I will see you "on the other side" before I pay that.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by Wendymott; 27th Dec 2017 at 9:00 pm. Reason: Additional info
Closed Thread