UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2017, 1:41 pm   #1
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default Triode curve tracer

Hi, I was just wondering if with sutable buffering if a Peak Atlas component tester could analyse a triode. Lots of other ways to achive without zapping a Peak Atlas analyser I know, but just a thought.
Overview attached.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curve tracer.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	154076  
Old 16th Dec 2017, 4:36 pm   #2

Default Re: Triode curve tracer

Looks promising, maybe add series resistors from the (expensive) DAC too.

Old 17th Dec 2017, 7:36 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Interesting idea, how would you make the buffers? There's a high voltage opamp - LTC6090 made by Linear that may do the job.

Andy.
Old 17th Dec 2017, 9:22 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

As part of the process of designing homebrew amplifier, I needed some plots of cathode current against grid and anode voltages. I used the ADCs and one DAC of a Velleman K8055 interface board, with a dual op-amp to level-shift the grid voltage (I didn't need to go below -9V) and amplify the voltage developed across a 10Ω resistor in the cathode, with just a simple potential divider to get the anode voltage.

The worst bit really was getting power into the whole arrangement .....

Were I doing it all over again, I think I'd use a HCPL7800 or similar to measure the current through a sense resistor in the anode, so the arrangement could be extended to tetrodes and above without G2 current affecting the readings; and connect a couple of relays to the digital outputs, to switch the HT and heater supplies.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 1:28 pm   #5
G4_Pete
Hexode

By coincidence the November 2017 VMARS "Signal" journal dropped through the letter box today with an article on a microprocessor controlled valve curve tracer.

Pete
Closed Thread