UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2017, 11:44 pm   #21
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: SMDs and stripboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Has anybody tried attaching a bit of ring main copper wire to a standard iron to create a miniature tip?
Tried it but was not impressed. I think the limited area of contact is a problem. I'm now using an iron with interchangeable bits; a 1.6mm chisel seems to work well on the smaller stuff I deal with.

I have really poor vision in one eye, effectively monocular, and I haven't yet tried working with SMD's and suspect it will prove quite difficult!

B
Old 29th Nov 2017, 9:03 am   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The problem I've found with proper solder wick is that it tends to go off within a month or two of opening, presumably as it oxidises. I'll experiment a bit with coax braid.

I do have some very thin leaded solder which should be suitable.
Chemtronics stuff has a very long shelf life (years). Some of the cheap stuff is hygroscopic so keep it in a zip lock bag and it’ll last longer. To be honest I’m getting through a roll a month at the moment (thanks Tektronix! ) so it doesn’t hang around.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 10:41 am   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I find the Servisol braid is still OK after several months too.

As for the copper wire wrapped round the iron, it's great for melting wax into woodworm holes but not much else in my experience.

Nick.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 10:52 am   #24
lesmw0sec
Octode

Being a 19" rack man, I long ago decided that SMD's were only suitable for watchmakers!
Old 29th Nov 2017, 11:14 am   #25
paulsherwin

I must admit to being surprised at how tiny they were, despite having read the specs and seen lots of SOT23 devices in commercial products. They look bigger fitted to PCBs, presumably because of the pads and solder.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 12:58 pm   #26
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Liquid flux makes soldering these tiny packages a lot easier. A fine bent 45 degree tip also helps. If the device is glued down, the pins flooded as described, a sharp tap on the bench gets rid of excess solder. This is how they do it on the assembly lines for individually installed IC's like FPGA's etc.

Andy.
Old 29th Nov 2017, 2:45 pm   #27
MrBungle
Dekatron

I wouldn't tap it on the bench to get rid of solder. That solder doesn't always end up where you expect and turns up between the pins on a TSSOP package for example. This, when it is a switching converter, is followed by a miniature firework display. I speak from experience

If that is being done on assembly lines, they should be shot. Glue, then drag solder, then use wick to get rid of the excess, then clean, then inspect.
Closed Thread