UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2017, 10:37 pm   #21
Cobaltblue

Default Re: NuTube miniature double triode

I would love to exploit this sort of stuff but frankly I can't be bothered clearly that's why I am still poor

Maybe once I am retired I can exploit the hard of thinking deep of pocket

Everyone has to have a hobby and try to find an angle

Sorry really using a VFD, are useable proper valves in such short supply?

No they are not.

Maybe I should repaint the thousands of EF50's available for pennys with special audio paint, no longer RED. Flame Scarlet with special Audio incantations, PX4, ECC83, EF86, 6SN7 and other magic

Cheers

Mike T
Old 19th Dec 2017, 7:35 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

You will need a range of paints of different colour temperatures so they can be used for different types of music and to complement the aural signatures of different cartridges and speakers.

But the problem with EF50s is that they look like capacitor cans, not valves. Maybe de-canned, 'naked EF50's would do better? Supply each one with a sheet telling the story of how Philips saved the EF50 from being got by the nazis.

Um, that's given me an idea.... bring out a range of amps where the capacitors are all mounted in sockets, so that true audiophiles can while away their lives listening to collections of different capacitors... and can recap them weekly.

The VFD triode is an attempt to save jobs at a VFD plant, and to allow the 'Does it have a valve in it?' box to be ticked more easily by an equipment maker. If put in full view they will tell the punter what sort of sound they are supposed to hear.... um, hey, are they available in different colours?

"Go to Red Alert, Kryten"

"Are you really sure, sir? That does mean changing the light bulb."

David
Old 19th Dec 2017, 11:50 am   #23
turretslug
Dekatron

The loctal/loctal-9 valves do have an appealing "tech" look without the tonic-tin cladding, the likes of EF50, W81, X81 hide their sophistication in practical clothing. Similarly another of my favourite series, metal IO, are worthy but dull-looking. The trouble with VFDs is that, like miniature battery valves, you have to peer quite closely in low light to see that the filament's alight- perhaps that explains some of the rationale behind the phosphored anode! Otherwise, it's a bit too unassuming for the money....
Old 19th Dec 2017, 7:42 pm   #24
Herald1360
Dekatron

I think I'll stick to these:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6784114/

.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2017, 9:13 pm   #25
Andrew2
Nonode

I had a fair collection of wire ended hearing aid valves when I were a lad. They'd go down well with the Golden Ear Brigade. Probably give a wider sound-stage and a more 'authoritative bass extension'.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 9:50 pm   #26
stuarth
Heptode

If you wanted cool running valves, you could use the Russian rod valves, available cheaply in good quantities. I have several, and many projects for them just awaiting some circular tuits. Not yet worked out how to mount then in an "impressive" manner.

Stuart
Old 20th Dec 2017, 12:18 am   #27
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
They’re pretty good, well the 12AU7’s are anyway.
Closed Thread