UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2016, 4:21 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Internet radio

I find myself listening to 'Internet radio' quite a lot where I can endure in 1930's and 40's dance bands and bebop Jazz.
The choice is simply overwhelming so I wondered if any members could share any gems they have discovered. I ask as one I listen to I picked up from a posting on this site a while ago http://early1900s.org/radiodismuke/index.html
Thanks.
Old 11th Mar 2016, 8:10 pm   #2
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Re: Internet radio

Try this - good content
http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp.../startpage.asp
Old 11th Mar 2016, 9:55 pm   #3
ITAM805
Nonode

Not 30/40's, my daily station is MPR, like Classic FM but without the repetitive playlist and adverts.

Most afternoons, the evergreen Radio Caroline
Old 12th Mar 2016, 12:41 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I rather like Soma.fm: https://somafm.com/

Right now I'm listening to the "left coast 70s" stream.
Old 13th Mar 2016, 3:53 am   #5
camallison
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
Most afternoons, the evergreen Radio Caroline
There's also Radio Caroline Flashback, a station that plays the same running lists as the original ship-based Caroline Radio did. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Colin
Old 13th Mar 2016, 12:40 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I agree with ITAM805 about the repetitive playlists on Classic FM, although they do put in different items from time to time. Where I part company with him is over the Commercials. Without them there'd be no Classic FM, Absolute Radio, or any other commercial stations, nor any non-BBC TV for that matter. The broadcasts have to be paid for, after all. Speaking of Internet radio, I once found a station playing nothing but 1950s records, but can't remember it's name, though I think it was something like, of all things, 1FM, but nothing to do with Radio1. Can anybody refresh my memory??
Speaking, too, of R. Caroline Flashback, as Colin (camallison) was, I have an MP3 encoded CD of their last lgal day as an offshore station (14 August 1967). Theres about 10 hours of programming on it, and I don't think I've ever listened to all the shows. This was one of a series of CDs being sold at the NVCF a few years ago, and I haven't seen them anywhere since.
Old 13th Mar 2016, 3:22 pm   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

There are lots of 'oldies' stations on the Internet. I have many on my iPad and use it to Bluetooth feed to computer speakers in the kitchen while I'm cooking. Almost as good as a jukebox. Most are a bit repetitive but usually change the discs every week. With so many to choose from, just change stations if it's repetitive.
Old 14th Mar 2016, 12:13 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As a further comment, those of us now a bit 'long in the tooth', will of course remember when the only daytime choices were BBC Home, Light & Third Programmes, Irish radio, and the high power French language LW Stations, plus Luxembourg and maybe AFN in the evenings. This, after all, was the reason Radio Caroline and the other 'pirates' were set up in the first place!
Old 16th Mar 2016, 2:56 pm   #9
dave cox
Nonode

My most listened to stations ...

The 'Linn' stations (radio, jazz and classical), these use a 320k MP3 stream, sans adverts ;-).
Obviously, the BBC but only using 320k AAC on HLS.

dc
Old 17th Mar 2016, 7:34 pm   #10
harvestgold
Hexode

Serenade Radio is the one for me! it's a top quality station, playing Easy Listening music. It reminds me of the old Saga 105.7FM but with no adverts and a slightly "Easier" playlist.

I use a Raspberry Pi together with an iTrip FM transmitter to broadcast it around the house.

Incidentally, they have a Jazz programme on a Sunday afternoon between 3 & 5 o'clock, and "Pure Nostalgia" between 6 & 8 o'clock which plays music from the 1920's to the 1950's including plenty from the dance bands.
Old 17th Mar 2016, 10:28 pm   #11
theoldtrout
Hexode

In the workshop we often listen to Kjazz from California State University in Long Beach. Great Jazz and some Blues and Saturdays and Sundays about 3 pm [UK time] is "Swing Time" a few hours of big band music - delightful. http://www.jazzandblues.org/programming/listen/
Old 18th Mar 2016, 2:36 pm   #12
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestgold View Post
Serenade Radio is the one for me!
Me too! Only one problem. I don't seem to have much luck with the 'propagation' of internet radio and the regular stops in the flow of material from Serenade Radio basically render it unlistenable to. Such a shame.

Or are we just supposed to accept this as normal for internet radio? The internet here works fine otherwise.

Steve
Old 18th Mar 2016, 6:45 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Many ISPs use "traffic-shaping" to control the flow of various kinds of data - if the streaming-service you are trying to listen to/watch is not using a protocol they know about then they can't give any quality-of-service guarantees, and then you get the stop/start effects.

Also, ISPs serving the domestic market "oversubscribe" their bandwidth - you may be sharing with up to 50 other people in your area. If a few of these suddenly decide that they want to download the latest episode of Corrie or Emmerdale then they can guzzle all the bandwidth leaving you with Dalek-style audio. This was a big issue for me back when I was deploying high-definition videoconferencing for homeworkers: we generally found it worthwhile to choose a "Business Broadband" package where the contention-ratio was usually only 15:1 or 20:1
Old 20th Mar 2016, 10:20 am   #14
Bobsound
Tetrode

I listen to KCEA.org.uk

Music of the big bands, jazz,etc. of the 30's, 40's, 50's.

Very little in the way of advertising.

Bob D
Old 20th Mar 2016, 4:27 pm   #15
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

This is one I keep going back to:

https://kalx.berkeley.edu/
Old 20th Mar 2016, 6:02 pm   #16
Panrock
Nonode

I seem to be alone in finding internet radio unlistenable to in practice, then

Steve
Old 20th Mar 2016, 6:12 pm   #17
terrybull
Octode

I live in a pretty rural location with slowish broadband given what is generally available. I don't have any issues with Internet radio. I was looking for a dedicated Internet radio but found an iPod dock only yesterday and with my iPhone and a radio station app it's pretty good. Occaisional blips but not a big problem.
Old 20th Mar 2016, 6:27 pm   #18
Panrock
Nonode

This would be internet via your phone (eg. not wifi) on 3G or 4G then? At my own rural location even 3G is iffy and for internet from my phone I depend on the signal from my router.
Old 20th Mar 2016, 6:27 pm   #19
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
I seem to be alone in finding internet radio unlistenable to in practice, then
Try setting the buffer size to a few minutes, takes it time filling the buffer but it may help with the breaks. A few seconds break will hopefully get filled very quickly without stopping the program.
Of course any time signals will be out by the buffer length.

Frank
Old 20th Mar 2016, 6:56 pm   #20
Panrock
Nonode

Thanks for the suggestion Frank, but is it possible to do this with the on-site player that is used to access Serenade Radio?

Steve