UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2017, 5:13 pm   #1
filmprojectors
Triode

The motor is from an EMI TR3 tape recorder. It's a GB Croydon 230 volt motor and I would like to use it as a take up motor on a film projector I am restoring, but I have 6 wires to connect? Black/white/red/blue/yellow/green it is a two speed motor 750 and 1500 rpm.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how to connect it to run at the 750 rpm speed? The original motor had only two wires.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00411.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	154171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00409.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	154172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00410.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	154173  
Old 18th Dec 2017, 7:47 pm   #2
Bookman
Hexode

Default Re: EMI TR3 recorder electic motor confusion.

Here is a typical diagram for a two speed single phase motor. Not sure if it can be used to make some sense of the wires you have. In essence if all of the links are undertaken external to the motor then you ought to be able to determine the two windings in that the start winding may and probably will have a different resistance value.
The next problem will be establishing the start and end of all windings and ensuring correct interconnectivity of the low/high speed windings.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Phase-Motor-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	154177  
Old 18th Dec 2017, 8:34 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The TR3 service sheet should give a good idea of how it should be connected, or if you have the rest of the machine, a simple bit of reverse-engineering is called for!
Old 18th Dec 2017, 8:54 pm   #4
filmprojectors
Triode

I don't have the tape recorder just the motor, it was given to me by a friend.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 8:57 pm   #5
Station X

I'd start by using a meter on ohms range to determine what the internal wiring is like. You should be able to identify at least two separate windings.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 10:08 pm   #6
filmprojectors
Triode

Yes I have done that and there are three windings with 185 ohms resistance on each.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 4:33 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Have you identified the common negative? The 2 run windings are in series, 370 ohms across the 2. Across the start winding and the 2 run windings all in series you will have 555 ohms.
You will also need to find out the suitable value of start capacitor.

If you are happy you have the run windings identified, connect one up without the start winding. A twist should set it running without getting hot, you should be able to get both speeds to run by switching windings.

I would have expected the start winding to be slightly lower resistance than the runs.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 2:38 pm   #8
Bookman
Hexode

Just to add to Boater Sam comments give the shaft a twist.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 1:40 pm   #9
barrymagrec
Octode

The is a Croydon JA34 1500 / 750 rpm sychronous motor, widely used on EMI and Leevers rich tape machines of the fifties and sixties as a capstan motor. It is wholly unsuitable for take up purposes as it has very little torque until it reaches synchronous speed.

It requires a 4uF start/run cap, mains rated.

For 750 rpm operation the connections are :-

red - live
yellow - neutral
white - cap

If you feed the cap from the neutral you should get clockwise rotation looked at from the top of the motor, feed from the live to reverse the rotation.

1500 rpm operation uses the green, blue and black wires but also connect the red, yellow and white wire together to produce the star connection.
Closed Thread