UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2007, 9:32 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Dealing with scratched cabinets

The Decca 121 is a projection TV set which employs the Philips optical components and the other units were made by Plessey. It has an internal mirror to project the picture on to the 16 X12 inch screen. The receiver circuits are similar to those in the Decca 1000.

As can be seen from the pictures my set has had a bad time. The set was pushed into a corner of the workshop and various TV sets were dumped on the top of the cabinet over a long period of time. Now the cabinet top is badly scratched.

I'm going to refinish the cabinet top. The front and sides are in good condition.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	121b.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	16986   Click image for larger version

Name:	121a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	16987  
Old 8th Jun 2007, 8:34 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Decca TV model 121: Scratched cabinet. Mea culpa!

What is your method of refinishing?
Old 8th Jun 2007, 9:09 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello David,
I know the problem well. When I had my business I had a huge brick built shed at the rear stuffed to the ceiling with old receivers, general junk and all manner of television related items. I used to wrap them in shrink wrap and place carpet samples on the tops to prevent too much damage but some damage did occur. Cabinet damage was the curse of our trade and large rental organizations and retail chains used to employ a full time French polisher!
That 121 may need a top strip and many coats of French polish to restore it. It may be possible to repair the damaged areas without stripping and that would be preferable.The process is quite simple and produces a superb finish, not too glossy. There may be more modern methods but with this old equipment the results never look right. Regards John.
Old 8th Jun 2007, 12:45 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
what is your method of re finishing ?
Hi Chipp,
I will use french polish to refinish the Decca. I will strip off the old lacquer today and finish the job tomorrow.

I have have many other sets that need their cabinets refinishing, some will be french polished and others will have the lacquer sprayed on. But I need practise to improve my spray technique, so have some tables from Blaydon Cricket Club to practise on.

John, I remember that many of the larger TV rental companies employed french polishers to redo damaged sets. Also sets would be tidied up for re-rental.
This had to done on account of the hire purchase and rental restrictions in force during the 1960s. TV sets under three years old were subject to 42 weeks advance rental payment. Sets which were under three years had to look like new.

DFWB.
Old 8th Jun 2007, 1:22 pm   #5
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

The problem with patch repairing is getting the colour. Though I think french polish can also be used for enlivening old finishes without stripping.
I haven't tried this yet.
I'm not by far an expert at finishing and I have very little space or the right equipment to do it properly, but I can produce acceptable results, fortunately. I would like to be able to do some spray finishing, even french polish can be done in that way, I think.
Old 8th Jun 2007, 4:09 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
I would like to be able to do some spray finishing , even french polish can be done in that way i think .
Hi Chipp,
I know that french polish can be sprayed. I don't think I will consider using that option though.

DFWB.
Old 8th Jun 2007, 9:58 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The cabinet top lacquer has been scraped off. I did not use a chemical paint and varnish remover on this occaision, it's not nice stuff to use indoors.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	121c.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	16988  
Old 11th Jun 2007, 6:25 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Anyway, the cabinet is looking a lot better.
Very nice
Old 11th Jun 2007, 7:10 pm   #9
MALC SCOTT
Octode

WOW!! What a good job you have done The grain is superb. I like the mirror effect veneer.
Old 12th Jun 2007, 8:55 am   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac
Closed Thread