UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2007, 2:05 pm   #1
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Default DAC 90A smoothing caps

Can someone advise whether I can replace the 16uF + 32uF can with a 32uF + 32uF can in a DAC90A. (It would be taller but the right diameter) I have searched for a replacement of the same values but nothing found. I thought there was an old thread on the forum but can't find it.
Thanks
Tony
Old 13th Apr 2007, 2:15 pm   #2
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: DAC 90A smoothing caps

Hello Tony,

I think I have this right..... Your rectifier is a UY41?
According to TDSL max capacitance for this valve is 50uf so I would say that it's ok to do.
Others here though may correct me if I have missed something.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13th Apr 2007, 6:23 pm   #3
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Hi Lee
Thank you for the reply - yes the rectifier is a UY41.
I've found a reference to these caps in the Recent Repair section on this site where Paul repaired a DAC90A. But he used a triple 32uF in a single can and he connected the 3rd cap in parallel with the second. This would give a 64uF (and a 32uF being the first of the three in the can)? Surely the two would have to be in series to give the required 16uF or am I missing something. (Wouldn't be the first time!)
Tony
Old 13th Apr 2007, 6:29 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0TAW Tony View Post
... he used a triple 32uF in a single can and he connected the 3rd cap in parallel with the second. This would give a 64uF (and a 32uF being the first of the three in the can)? Surely the two would have to be in series to give the required 16uF...
You're right, Paul's radio effectively had 32uF and 64uF caps in place of the 16uF and 32uF originally fitted.

But as Lee said above, 32uF immediately after the rectifier should be just about OK, and a larger capacitance value (e.g. 64uF) after the decoupling resistor isn't a problem, so the end result should be OK
Old 13th Apr 2007, 8:37 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I would encourage you to think carefully before replacing an electrolytic with another of a similar age. It may look OK, but the reliability is a different matter. I would replace with new electrolytics fitted under the chassis, though if you're really keen on originality you could hollow out the old cap and fit the new ones inside the can.

I agree with the comments made by others regarding values.

Paul
Old 16th Apr 2007, 7:51 pm   #6
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Hi Paul
Sorry - I missed your post. No I wasnt going to use an old can cap. I was just worried that the 32uF +32uF might not be good for the rectifier.
Tony
Closed Thread