UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2019, 2:18 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Fidelity CTV140

Adjusting the G2 voltage very slightly, may also help but first check for other problems.
Old 28th Jun 2019, 1:13 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Nonode

Today I managed to find time to have a look inside:

I carefully bent the aerial socket to more or less it's proper position, it probably needs a bit of solder to do a proper fix, but I didn't have time to get my soldering iron out. This has improved things but still some fuzziness in the picture.

I adjusted the green level pot (PR-21) down by 1/8 of a turn, & the colours now look a lot better.

I took the usual tube label picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2125.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	185858  
Old 28th Jun 2019, 4:08 pm   #23
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSmith625 View Post
Quoted by Richard_ FM post 5. After playing about with the controls to get the best picture I noticed there is a slight green bias to the screen, even with the colour turned right down.
Be careful, that is one of the quirks of this chassis. If you turn the colour right down to 0 the greyscale changes to become a bit green, so you have to do it either by switching your pattern generator to monochrome or by de-tuning the set a little to lose the colour.
Old 28th Jun 2019, 7:12 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

8436 36th week 1984. J.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 11:28 am   #25
Richard_FM
Nonode

Update:

I've managed to solder the aerial socket in place & the fuzziness is barley noticeable.

However I've noticed a small hairline scratch on the screen, it's not too noticeable depending on what's been displayed. Is there an easy way to polish them out or fill them in like you can with a windscreen?
Old 10th Aug 2019, 5:31 pm   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

VERY hard glass. You can polish them out with jewelers rouge and an electric polisher but you may end up with slight 'dents' in the glass that look nasty. Even this takes time and patience..

Scrub the grime out of the scratches with a soapy nail brush and you will hardly notice them. John.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 9:47 pm   #27
AJSmith625
Pentode

I remember sending a badly scratched but otherwise excellent 20 inch colour tube to Express Tv tubes in Staffordshire for polishing as John described above. They did a first class job and the dent in the screen could hardly be seen when the set was on. When switched off, if the ambient room lighting caught it in a certain direction it was very noticable and looked very odd.

Alan.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 10:15 pm   #28
Richard_FM
Nonode

Thanks for the suggestions about dealing with the scratch, it's only really noticeable close up to the screen when there is a plain image on display.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 11:37 pm   #29
davyrocket2
Pentode

I think it was fidelity 14S ,ZX2000 chassis Lopt failures , and blown power supplies usually were ok after replacing bridge rectifier diodes and other parts, and some sets had a fault that caused channels to change or not tune ok but I think if the tubes were okay they could last fairly well. I prefered the Ferguson 16 inch TX9 ,the text/ remote version ones
Old 11th Aug 2019, 12:06 am   #30
Richard_FM
Nonode

It's a non-remote version, but my parents used to have a Goodmans with the same chassis with a remote, that had a bad habit of changing channels randomly or turning itself off.