UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2006, 7:46 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Stella ST110U off/on/vol switch change

Hello,

I'm replacing the off/on/volume pot on my Stella ST110U using the one from my scrap set cos the former was very noisy. Unfortunately theyre not quite the same as you can see in the pic, the tags on the top are in different positions.

Ive assumed that the incoming mains wires still go to the outer tags, but what about the other two, or doesnt it matter ? The wires to the three tags at the bottom I assume are all in the same positions ?

I really should have taken a pic of the other set before removing this pot but I thought the sets were identical ..... Help !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stellaonoffvol.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	6168  
Old 14th Oct 2006, 8:09 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Stella ST110U off/on/vol switch change

That one doesn't look original to me, though I might be wrong.

The mains switch is just a double pole switch and it doesn't matter how you wire it so long as both connections (live and neutral) are switched.

The three tags at the bottom connect to either end of the carbon track and the wiper that moves along it (that's the middle one).

It's probably a good idea to dismantle the control and clean the track while you have easy access to it - otherwise you may just end up with another noisy control.

Paul
Old 14th Oct 2006, 8:19 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Hi Howard, The new switch will work fine with the centre connections either way round but bear in mind that this is a live chassis design! For safety make sure that the black (neutral) wire ends up connected to chassis when the switch is on, assuming of course that the plug is wired correctly .

Regards, Mick.
Old 14th Oct 2006, 8:20 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Many thanks Paul and Mick,

I thought that was the case but I thought I ought to make certain I was doing it right. It may well not be an original part, but it does have a threaded hole in its spindle for the knob pin, its just those two top middle tags are in a mirror position.

Fingers crossed, here we go

Howard
Old 14th Oct 2006, 8:26 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
I thought that was the case but I thought I ought to make certain I was doing it right. It may well not be an original part, but it does have a threaded hole in its spindle for the knob pin, its just those two top middle tags are in a mirror position.
Many Philips sets used that threaded shaft system to secure knobs in the 50s, and it can make replacement very difficult unless you have the facilities to drill a new hole and tap a thread.

Paul
Old 14th Oct 2006, 8:52 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Howard.
Make sure you have the right connections to avoid shorting the mains when you switch on!!!
A couple of minutes work with a meter( or even a battery and bulb) should tell you all you need to know.
Old 14th Oct 2006, 9:27 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello,

All done and it works And this pot is in good condition, no crackling or mechanical wear at all. Thanks all

Howard
Closed Thread