UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2010, 4:51 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Valve boxes - bulk order?

The usual post-Christmas "must get organised" feeling points me at my (modest) heaps and drawers of valves which would be easier to keep track of if boxed, tested and marked up.

There have been a lot of threads on valve boxes, but no easy point of supply in the UK as far as I can see. Please put me right if I have missed an obvious UK supplier.

I am happy to order a decent quantity of plain white purpose made valve boxes (from overseas almost certainly) and parcel them out to forum members. NZVRS have some as do a couple of commercial firms like TubeDepot in the US. In small quantities pricing and postage ($30+ for US, £100 for NZ!) are prohibitive but is much better with a large order.

It will only work if I get commitment for reasonable quantities first as I don't relish spending the rest of my days as a valve box salesman!

If we can order good quantities (maybe 500) of each of a few sizes I think we can get prices down to 6-10p for small B9A (ECC83), 7-12p for larger B9A (EL84), 11-15p for smaller octal (EL34) and 19-25p for larger octal (KT66). It all depends on quantity and postage.
...Plus some postage in the UK of course.

Have a look at the websites.

Any surplus will go to the Vintage Wireless Museum.

If anyone is interested please PM me so I can see if this is workable.
I will take 100+ myself by the way so that's a start.

I have also emailed Mike Barker to see if this could or should preferably be done under the auspices of the BVWS, to benefit members and the BVWS. (Just like the BVWS capacitor sales).

Alternatively, I will post my own design for valve boxes, which I print onto stiff A4 card in a laser printer and cut to shape and glue. Very tedious but effective.

Any interest at all?
Old 16th Jan 2010, 6:02 pm   #2
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Valve boxes - bulk order?

PM sent

OTT
Old 16th Jan 2010, 6:11 pm   #3
Pamphonica
Nonode

Chris, thanks for your PM, and to GrimJosef (via PM).

Alan Stepney is investigating another source and will let me/us know shortly.

The response has been under-whelming so I assume that people are not that interested.

I will work with those who have responded and we'll see if we can make up an economically viable order just for us. At least we'll only pay one lot of international postage.

In the meanwhile I am still open for any interest from others. I don't think any order will go in before the end of the month.
Old 16th Jan 2010, 6:13 pm   #4
Pamphonica
Nonode

Meanwhile, for what it is worth, here is my simple design for pairs of boxes suitable for any B9As, to be printed on stiff-ish A4 card. Worth experimenting with anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: doc valve boxes 2.doc (40.0 KB, 476 views)
Old 16th Jan 2010, 6:17 pm   #5
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Like you said in your original post, you need enough people to make it viable otherwise like you I will look for a box design. Will probably be therapeutic all that cutting out

OTT

Spooked! just seen your other post, cheers Now where those BIG Scissors
Old 16th Jan 2010, 9:17 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

There are plenty of manufacturers in the UK capable of making valve boxes but I have no idea of their MOQ's.

Smurfit Print in Llangollen are one, Reploy Packaging are another, I've only dealt with these companies as a supplier.

They're die-cut and normally supplied flat of course.

A google search shows these, no idea who they are;

http://www.macfarlanepackaging.com/whitecardboxes
Old 16th Jan 2010, 9:33 pm   #7
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Jeremy you have a PM.

Ian
Old 16th Jan 2010, 10:48 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
Meanwhile, for what it is worth, here is my simple design for pairs of boxes suitable for any B9As, to be printed on stiff-ish A4 card. Worth experimenting with anyway.
Thanks for that most useful design Jeremy - neat the way you got two on an A4 page, and included the internal flap. Great fun for anyone who was depreived of scissors and glue as a child! "Cutting out" was always one of my favourite pastimes

I'll certainly be giving that a spin - Ive still not decided what I want to be when I grow up!

I wonder where the UK valve suppliers get their boxes from?

Maybe from firms such as McFarlane- the website link?

I've been in the habit of rolling valves up in A4 scrap paper then sealing with Pritt - not very professional and far short of boxes, but better than nothing. My collection isn't large enough to require more than a couple of dozen or so of each size, from B7G/B9a to Octal.

I've been surprised by the lack of response to your bull - I'd have thought that this could be well worth the BVWS exploring as a possible service to members/revenue oportunity, but of course, it's one more task on an already hard-pressed band of dedicated movers, shakers and doers who have plenty on their plate.

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 17th Jan 2010, 2:36 pm   #9
Reelman
Octode

I would certainly be interested in boxes of all sizes. Thanks for going to all the touble to research this.

Peter
Old 17th Jan 2010, 3:25 pm   #10
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

My problem is that I have probably 2000 valves not in boxes. Cost of boxing would be high. Also they would then take up more space.
Pat G3IKR
Old 17th Jan 2010, 3:53 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I too would like some valve boxes. I managed to obtain a load from Argentina but they're nearly all gone and I have loads of valves waiting to be tested and boxed, mainly 1950s B8A/B9As.

They are obtainable from the Tube Depot in the USA and from Jan Wüsten in Germany. A large order may attract a decent discount from either but if bought from Germany wouldn't attract customs duty etc.

http://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm

Howard
Old 17th Jan 2010, 8:46 pm   #12
Pamphonica
Nonode

This is now looking a lot more feasible. Let's do it ourselves as BVWS have not yet responded. It will give BVWS a guide on future demand at least.

Could everyone who has expressed an interest please PM me again, with possible quantities and preferred sizes. I will do a tot up and work out the best pricing and source.

For simplicity and clarity could you please look at the TubeDepot website and use their descriptions against each quantity for clarity. They have seven sizes.
No commitment of course, at this stage. I just need to work out pricing to see if everyone is still interested. I will apportion carriage and tax (at 17.5%) across all boxes ordered, based on value.

I think the US will still turn out cheapest based on German unit pricing and NZ carriage costs. But I will see, once numbers are in.

And the reason I did not investigate the UK box manufacturers was the lack of the internal flap in their standard products. It really is important if the valve is not to bang about.

So far I think the "9 Pin tube box - long" is the most popular, with potential orders of 1000+. Orders of 200-300 of the "Medium Octal" and 200-300 of the "Extra Large Octal" are also possible.

Since there is lots of interest in the 9-pin box, we could split the order between standard and long versions so ECC83s will be snugly housed. Let me know how many of each.

I am happy to order some "extras" of popular sizes to keep "in stock" for a bit for forum members. But I don't want to set up a permanent shop!

So PMs please and I will sort out prices. P&P in UK at cost of course.
Old 17th Jan 2010, 9:36 pm   #13
Pamphonica
Nonode

In terms of sizing, as far as I can see the TubeDepot boxes typically fit as follows:
9-Pin: ECC83
9-Pin L: EL84
S Octal: GZ34
M Octal: EL34, EF39
L Octal: 6L6
XL Oxtal, 5U4, KT66, EBL31
Large: 811 and v big bottles!
Old 18th Jan 2010, 7:28 pm   #14
Pamphonica
Nonode

With the quantities so far indicated, I have the following indicative prices. The prices for the octals would only improve if people wanted quite a lot more.
9-Pin: ECC83 - 8p
9-Pin L: EL84 - 9p
S Octal: GZ34 - 18p (low qty required)
M Octal: EL34, EF39 - 16p
L Octal: 6L6 - 23p
XL Oxtal, 5U4, KT66, EBL31 - 25p
Large: 811 and v big bottles! - no requirement so far!

Anyone else please shout, but can you go for reasonable quantities eg 50+ if possible for octals to help price breaks. (We are above the top price break on the 9-pins)

I will email TubeDepot and confirm shipping costs. If pricing still looks OK the order will go in this week. This might actually fly!
Old 18th Jan 2010, 9:25 pm   #15
Pamphonica
Nonode

...I knew it was too good to be true. I decided to check with TubeDepot and they replied that shipping will be $150-$160! Not the $30 their website automatically shows. (That puts 3-4p on the cost of 9-pin boxes and even more on the larger ones). Leave it with me - I am re-visiting the NZ option which might still work out. I will post revised pricing once I get their response. But we're still probably going to be looking at 12p per small box, not 8p.

I am beginning to wonder if I should try for a UK supplier again as shipping is adding so much to cost .
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:03 pm   #16
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I did some research along these lines a while ago, but it came to nothing. Macfarlane and other UK makers don't seem to do square-section boxes. I even enquired via a colleague's wife who is a pharmacist - dozens of ointments, tubes of medicine etc are packed in valve-sized square-section boxes - but apparently nobody makes plain white ones.

So thanks for progressing this! I'll count up my unboxed B7G, B8A and B9A valves and PM you with a quantity later.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:03 pm   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

Personally I'm not too bothered about the flap particularly with the bigger ones, they were wrapped in tissure or corrugated card anyhow. Maybe a sample sent flattened would be enough for a uk OEM to quote. It cant be rocket science can it? Die-cut leaflets (unusual shapes and sizes) have been produced in small quantities by local printing & packaging firms for years for short-run advertising campaigns.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:27 pm   #18
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
...I knew it was too good to be true. I decided to check with TubeDepot and they replied that shipping will be $150-$160! Not the $30 their website automatically shows. (That puts 3-4p on the cost of 9-pin boxes and even more on the larger ones). Leave it with me - I am re-visiting the NZ option which might still work out. I will post revised pricing once I get their response. But we're still probably going to be looking at 12p per small box, not 8p.

I am beginning to wonder if I should try for a UK supplier again as shipping is adding so much to cost .
I wonder where UK valve suppliers get their boxes from?

Some NOS valves are supplied in original boxes, but often they're in new white card boxes. I can't imagine they source them from overseas. (TubeDepot's shipping costs sound ludicrously high).

BTW, I spent an hour or so making up 20 boxes from your excellent design Jeremy. Quite therapeutic - all that cutting out and glueing, but I think that if I had to make more than about 100, I'd have to be in prison or subject to a community punishment order! (Each box now has an occupant).

Regards,

David,
G4EBT
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:45 pm   #19
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

As Jeremy said, I am investigating another source, someone I dealt with some years ago.
If they can still do that sort of box, the price should be reasonable, and delivery certainly wont be too expensive, but it will take a little time to get the information.
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 12:43 am   #20
Pamphonica
Nonode

The best offer just on the table is from one of the NZVRS folk, who does boxes for the club there. The main hit is on 9-pin types even with our volume (1550 off). Shipping is a slightly more reasonable £83 (US shipping was £100) as long as it comes by sea (3-5 wks).
Our prices in the UK, incl shipping & VAT would be:
Small: (9-pin, any type): 12p (order would be 1550 off)
GT: (sm Octal GZ34, EL39): 15p (order would be 50 off)
Med: (Std Octal EL34): 17p (order would be 100 off)
Lge: (Lge Octal KT66): 26p (order would be 150 off)
I will pack out the order with extras for me to make the numbers up for a full box and see who wants them later.
I will PM all who responded so far and see if they still want boxes at that price.
Closed Thread