UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2008, 6:39 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Anyone recognise this?

As per the title.
Has a certain ex-military WW2 look about it. It is housed in a leather case with a carrying handle. Tuning coverage is MW and SW 6 to 16 MHz; 3-gang tuning condenser; IF is 455 KHz.

If anyone here can identify this for me, perhaps with a bit of history for it - I'd be grateful.

Al / Skywave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WW2 radio.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	17995  
Old 19th Jun 2008, 9:17 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone recognise this?

I saw that too! The paper labels makes it look homemade but the pressing for the grill suggests otherwise. Mainly loctal USA valves with riveted bases. Heavily hacked about especially the power supply
Old 19th Jun 2008, 10:59 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Talking Re: Anyone recognise this?

You too, eh?

I don't know where from, but I vaguely recognise it - or something very much like it - from somewhere a long time ago. The valves, the knobs, the dial and the 455 KHz IFTs make me think it's of USA origin - but again, I just can't place where or when. And yes, it's definitely been well ' got at' - did you notice the EZ80 'mod.'?

OTOH, could this be a 'hybrid homebrew special' - as in various bits from a number of old radios put into a home-made case? That might explain why I think I recognise it - when, in actual point of fact, I'm only recalling various parts & features.

Intriguing, none the less.

Al.
Old 20th Jun 2008, 9:02 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

The pressed steel speaker grill suggests it always was a radio. The dial says 'broadcast' so that's from the USA and the valve line-up which is marked up on the chassis says USA too. I can see a TCC silver-mica but it could be a mod. The conversion to make it an optional amp is also a mod including the jack socket and toggle switch (used to be the aerial/earth connector). It has an RF amp. I don't recognse the triangular logo on the wax caps?

Everything points to it being of USA origin but it's odd to have a mains powered portable especially as it has no access to change the mains settings.

Your turn Sherlock...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap logo.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	18000  
Old 20th Jun 2008, 9:22 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

If the piccys were a bit bigger it would help!
Old 20th Jun 2008, 11:02 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Anyone recognise this?

Sean: Sorry - All my attempts to make the pic larger (it's a JPG) exceed the Forum's 200 Kb limit.

PJL: "The dial says 'broadcast' . . . so that's from the USA".
I've never thought about that / realised the significance of that . . . 'till now . . . .

Thanks.

Al.
Old 20th Jun 2008, 11:16 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Sorry - All my attempts to make the pic larger (it's a JPG) exceed the Forum's 200 Kb limit.
If I tell it to display actual size, the radio's image pretty well fills my screen. When it is automatically scaled to fit the window, the actual radio is very small, owing to a large white area being included in the image.
Old 21st Jun 2008, 9:07 am   #8
davidw
Heptode

Definately American...dial markings in "Meters" not Metres.. Interesting mod to PSU with valve holder adapter.It looks as if it was designed for the type of case it's in as there are no connections on rear of chassis.
Old 21st Jun 2008, 11:25 am   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
. . When it is automatically scaled to fit the window, the actual radio is very small, owing to a large white area being included in the image.
Thanks Dave. I've always wondered why I get that trouble; in retrospect, of course, it's obvious
In future, prior to Posting, I'll make sure I crop accordingly.

Al.
Old 4th Oct 2008, 11:55 am   #10
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Anyone recognise this?

I am reviewing any of my originating Posts that (from my viewpoint) can now be closed.
This is one of them.

Thank you to all who provided assistance.

Al / Skywave.
Closed Thread