UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:17 pm   #21

Default Re: Broadcaster Gramette help

There is no other wire connected to that terminal on the can Lawrence...

Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:49 pm   #22
Station X

That's what I'd expect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette Automix D.J Amp0001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	167861  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:51 pm   #23
buggies
Heptode

The circuit mentioned in post #5 has the output transformer and G2 both connected to the far end of the 1k resistor.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:54 pm   #24
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxxan1 View Post
the voltage varies from 92v to 99v on the centre pin when turning the tone knob.
Given that there's no DC connection to either end of the tone pot's track, I'd say that that cap is leaking.

Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:57 pm   #25
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
The circuit mentioned in post #5 has the output transformer and G2 both connected to the far end of the 1k resistor.
Yes, that's what I was thinking, normally the anode supply is usually from the reservoir capacitor and the screen grid supply is from the filter capacitor, that's the bit that was confusing at first.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 9:21 pm   #26
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, shorting the cartridge wires does increase the hum but only slightly rather than considerably, I'm not sure if I should be looking to change the cartridge first or looking closer at the amplifier.
You don't want to "short" the cartridge wires, if you do you won't get any volume at all. You need to touch each one in turn with a screwdriver, NOT you finger, as this player has a "live" chassis. Turn the volume up full, and if you get a loud hum by touching either wire, then you know the amplifier is ok.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 9:23 pm   #27

So is it possible to get a replacement?

Old 19th Aug 2018, 11:13 pm   #28

Thanks to everyone for your expert advice and also for your patience as I'm a bit out of my depth with this, what would you suggest is my next move with this?

many thanks all ....

Old 20th Aug 2018, 8:37 am   #29
Station X

The voltage readings indicate that there are no serious faults with the amplifier. Changing the components suggested would bring it up to the top line.

You need to carry out the "buzz" test described in post #26 to determine if the cartridge is any good.

Old 20th Aug 2018, 10:11 am   #30
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The chassis is relatively safe to work on as it's mains isolated. I note you say you feel out of your depth with this. You may be able to get local hands-on help from here if you wish. As I've mentioned before, it all depends on how much you are prepared to spend on this. If you do need a replacement, mono only, high output cartridge, it will cost at least £35 - and if a stereo-compatible one, even more. That's if you can source one. Also you need to determine if that plastic platter will run true as well.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 11:00 am   #31
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
So is it possible to get a replacement?
Yes, it's possible but there are two things you should be aware of. The arm on this player was designed specifically to take cartridges that could be mounted through the hole in the front of the arm. Modern cartridges are mounted with a bracket that is screwed through the topside of the arm, so you would have to make holes, which is not easy on curved surface, and also possibly grind out the original cartridge fitting mouldings on the inside of the arm. The second thing to consider is that replacement cartridge will cost you approximately £35-40, which is way, way more than the record player is worth. There are cheap chinese cartridges available for under a fiver, but they have no mounting bracket, so you would have to make up some way of fixing it to the arm.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 11:21 am   #32
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

A quick search on eBay finds a New Stereo Ceramic Cartridge c/w mounting bracket for £10.00, postage free. Whether it would physically fit, and have enough output for, the Broadcaster Gramette, I don't know. It also appears to only have a stylus suitable for LP & 45 RPM records.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 11:58 am   #33
Techman
Dekatron

Before we go any further into confusion -

Unless I've missed something - this is a single stage amp, yes?

1) The 'buzz' test which will need to be done at full volume setting will produce quite a low level of buzz driving the grid of just a UL41.

2) I don't know of any high output cheap Chinese cartridges, although ready to be proved wrong. So, as high output types that are stereo compatible for more modern records are not available anywhere as far as I know, a pre-amplifier would have to be built to make this record player produce a normal sound level.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 2:10 pm   #34
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I have tried to make it clear (to the point of causing boredom to many I'm sure) that this must have a high-output cartridge! A Chinese ceramic will not do, unless it has a pre-amp fitted for it. Also these do not play 78s. See my earlier Posts.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 2:57 pm   #35
julie_m
Dekatron

From my own experimentation, a "Chinese cheapie" ceramic cartridge hadn't quite got enough "oomph" to drive the single-stage EL84 in a Dansette Major De Luxe. I could hear a record playing, with the gain cranked up full, but only if I was sitting right in front of the machine. (The usual cartridge fitted to that machine is a Ronette 105.) A BSR SC12H was slightly better than the Chinese cartridge, but still needed the volume control turned past 12:00 to get listenable volume.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 4:46 pm   #36
AC/HL
Dekatron

Getting back to the start, have you sorted the turntable out?
Without that it's all academic. I'd think that that brass peg should be pushed in from below, and will then locate on the centre bearing. Is the jockey wheel in good condition, and it and the inner rim of the turntable clean? Getting the turntable turning should give you the impetus to carry on.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 6:48 pm   #37

Thanks again for all your comments, advice and patience ! lol

The turntable is running, the jockey wheel in good condition although there are some hairline cracks in the plastic platter, its running but I suspect a little slow.

It sounds like the cartridge is going to be hard to find and not cheap and as 'Audio1950' points out the cost exceeds the value of the record player so perhaps I need to consider this... Also, am I correct in thinking its not possible to play stereo records with mono stylus/cartridge?

Again, thank you to everyone for all your help so far, its the first time I've posted on here and so nice that everyone has taken the time to offer so much help and advice, thanks guys !

Andy

Old 20th Aug 2018, 7:34 pm   #38
AC/HL
Dekatron

You are. It won't play stereo, and could damage the records.
Do you have any sentimental attachment to this player? To be frank, without that (and it's a popular theme here) the cost of a high output stereo, or even mono, cartridge will render this a labour of love.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 7:42 pm   #39
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

As previously advised by many on here, you cannot play Stereo LPs on a Mono cartridge. They will be permanently damaged. Your Gramette was essentially designed to play Mono 78s and 45s, and if the owner could afford them, Mono LPs. Please carefully re-read the well considered advice offered above.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 8:41 pm   #40

Bill, no sentimental value, it was given to me and having fixed up a Fidelity HF45 in the past I felt this would be a more interesting and challenging project but after advice given here it looks like it may not be worth doing after all..
Thanks again for the info !

Closed Thread