UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2015, 5:45 pm   #1

Default Ringing waveform

Simple question, is the POTS ringing waveform a simple sinewave or something else?

Old 8th Nov 2015, 5:53 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Ringing waveform

I don't understand the "simple question".

POTS ?
Old 8th Nov 2015, 6:02 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

POTS = 'Plain Old Telephone Service' or something similar, meaning a normal analogue telephone line.

And yes, AFAIK the ringing voltage is a simple sine wave.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 6:38 pm   #4

Thanks TonyDuel, and ukcol, I must never assume (I assumed a posting with POTS in it on the telephony section would have been understood), it annoys me too, FX (effects as in radio etc.) slaps self on wrist.

Now to build a ring generator, either a high voltage (+/- 100V or so) amplifier or a low voltage one and a transformer, that could be tricky (and expensive) at 20Hz. Or ignore the losses at 20Hz for a normal 'mains' transformer and feed it with one of those quite remarkable digital amplifiers, we use one which will give 1.5W in stereo from a thing about 1/4" square with no heatsinking.

Old 8th Nov 2015, 7:33 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

It's a sine-wave, however...

Our old 'INDeX' telephone switch at work used to build it up digitally, like a step-stair waveform. And the 'Herald' system before that had the ringing waveform sat on the 50V d.c!

Here's one I made earlier with an old wall-wart transformer. Not my idea, BTW...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ringercct.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	115333  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 7:49 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
POTS = 'Plain Old Telephone Service' or something similar, meaning a normal analogue telephone line.
I seem to remember being told that it originally stood for "Post Office Telephone Service" - presumably ceasing to be so after the telephone network was no longer run by the Post Office.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 8:00 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've seen 'POTS' (in this sense) in a lot of American publications on telephony, so I doubt it has much to do with 'Post Office'.

As for the ringing generator, there are many ways it's been done. I doubt you want to make a motor-generator set (although they do turn up second-hand). The GPO had a little rining supply ('Converter Ringing 7' IIRC) that fed half-wave rectified mains into a transfrormer appropriately resonated by a capacitor. Of course a special transformer.

The Telephone 704 (Linesman's telephone) and the 'Converter Ringing 9A' (used on Planphones with external extensions) were simple transistor oscillators again with a special transformer. The latter is not impossible to obtain.

My commerical line simulator uses an 8049 microcontroller feeding a DAC to generate the sine wave. This is filtered and fed to an audio amplifier IC (I forget which one, but it is a common one) then to a step-up transformer. This approach allows you to vary the frequency and amplitude to generate just about any country's ringing voltage (important in that applications).

Finally, the book 'Telephone Projects for the Evil Genius' has a design for a ringing generator that consists of a flyback converter to generate the DC supply and a full-H circuit to turn that into AC (possibly more 'square' than 'sine' but it should work). I hesitate to mention this book as it appears every circuit has at least one error (OK I exagerate, but only slightly) but this one looks not too hard to get working.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 8:51 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The PABXes I used to deal with provided 48V 25Hz 'ring current' from a little rotary motor-alternator that spun all the time and was really rather rude as regards its waveform.

With a single REN load it remained kinda sinusoidal; if there were a dozen lines ringing at any one time the waveform got lumpy. And the frequency wouldn't be 25Hz either!

Don't get paranoid over this: the telephones you connect to your ring-current source will have been trained to handle all sorts of truly depraved and corrupt ring-current waveforms!
Old 8th Nov 2015, 9:14 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
the 'Herald' system before that had the ringing waveform sat on the 50V d.c!
I thought that was how it was supposed to be anyway? Don't you need the DC there, to detect when the phone is answered?
Old 8th Nov 2015, 9:23 pm   #10
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I made a ringer unit for testing telephones at work which is a simple cross coupled 6-0-6 mains transformer in reverse similar to the one described earlier in this thread. I use the 110V primary windings to keep the output voltage to a sensible level. It just sends the ring voltage for as long as you have your finger on the button, but it's still realistic enough to fool the other techs in the workshop that the "real" phone is ringing if you get the timing right. I suspect the output waveform is more of a square wave but most phones seem tolerant of this. What I have noticed is that some phones seem to load the oscillator more than others and in extreme cases the phone will only make one "peep" instead of ringing properly. The same unit produces the 50V line voltage via a DC-DC converter to run the test phone to mimic a normal line as well as having DTMF decoding etc. The whole lot is portable and runs on batteries. Please bear in mind that the line and ringing voltages produced by these units can be dangerous.
Alan.

Last edited by Biggles; 8th Nov 2015 at 9:26 pm. Reason: Safety information added.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 9:29 pm   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I suppose it must do... I must've looked at it on the pair incoming to the bell capacitor.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 9:36 pm   #12

Quote:
Don't get paranoid over this: the telephones you connect to your ring-current source will have been trained to handle all sorts of truly depraved and corrupt ring-current waveforms!
Ah, the missus is very sensitive to the wrong ring on her 'new' 746. I have a small PBX (got from a fellow member) that works well, but not up to SHMBOs standards. So it is build it yourself time, a fun project.

Old 8th Nov 2015, 9:53 pm   #13

Quote:
The GPO had a little rining supply ('Converter Ringing 7' IIRC) that fed half-wave rectified mains into a transfrormer appropriately resonated by a capacitor. Of course a special transformer.
I can't see how that would work, 50Hz would be the lowest harmonic, I would love to see the circuit and learn something.

Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:22 pm   #14
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Take a look at diagram N654, available from Sam Hallas's site,

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...&file=N654.pdf

Unfortunately while it gives a schematic, it doesn't give any details of the transformer. I do have such a unit somewhere but have never stuck a 'scope on the output. It does get telephone bells ringing, though.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:25 pm   #15
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
'I would love to see the circuit and learn something.'
What you want is Atkinson, Volume 1 (September 1947 but reprinted and available).
Attached Files
File Type: docx page_01_ringer.docx (332.6 KB, 144 views)

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:26 pm   #16
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

N651 and N654 diagrams
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor.../0000/N651.pdf
http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor.../0000/N654.pdf
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:27 pm   #17
ukcol
Rest in Peace

(Re POTS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I seem to remember being told that it originally stood for "Post Office Telephone Service".
I should have know this because when I left school in the 1960s I desparately wanted to be an apprentice Radio & TV service engineer but I could not find a firm that would take me on, so I joined Post Office Telephones as a YIT.

YIT was the Post Office's acronym for a Youth In Training.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:29 pm   #18
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Here is the circuit for Power Unit no. 100A, which produces 25Hz ringing in the manner described.
Old 8th Nov 2015, 10:56 pm   #19
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
YIT was the Post Office's acronym for a Youth In Training.
As was the BBC's (where the work ethos and environment was very similar to that of the GPO), but a long, long time ago!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 9th Nov 2015, 9:35 am   #20

Thanks for the diagrams, I will have to have a play in Splice.

Closed Thread