UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2014, 2:54 pm   #1
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Cool Akai x5000w reel to reel servicing

I have just managed to service and overhaul this deck that I got some months back. the chassis and mechanics are exactly the same as other akai decks and The manual of the x2000sd and 1710w helped with the mechanics. with the 1710 the reel to reel mechanics are the same apart from the crossfield head, the motors, levers, cams and everything is 100% interchangable in these 3 decks. I've also done the VU adjustment (somehow) with a 1000hz sine and the recording seems okay. There is quite some static in the volume controls and it's really annoying and loud even at low volume. I've tried switch cleaner and ran them but it hadn't helped, a day later, the static was back I tried WD40 and a week later it's back. I can live with that but I need a service manual just in case I start recapping. If someone has any of them, please lend me a scan. or any other suggestions. Oh by the way, the motor is identical 100% to akai motors but it's a Hysteresis syncronous motor unlike The Akai 1710,1720,1721,1722,3000D models, and the x2000sd, and many other akai decks that i've seen. they use a 2 speed induction motor. The x5000w uses a 2 speed hysteresis syncronous motor. are there any ups and downs? what is the comparison between the 2 because they have the same RPM, same belt, even the flywheel is interchangeable with All the other Akai decks that I've mentioned. so is the chassis and reel to reel controls and idler wheels
Closed Thread