UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2016, 7:51 pm   #1
pmmunro
Octode

Default Component Lead Bending Jigs - Users' Experience?

Does anyone have useful experience of using simple component bending jigs please?

I have a project which will need several hundred resistor and other small component leads bent to fit PCBs and I am considering a quicker method than just using pliers and fingers.

This type http://zbtools.co.uk/download/554.pdf looks quite attractive but is quite expensive though prices vary by a factor of 2 to 3 times between different suppliers. There are also cheap plastic wedge shaped jigs sometimes described as "Christmas Trees". There also used to be a type of jig which was made up of a pair of tapered slotted metal wedges which seemed to be common in the early days of PCBs.

PMM
Old 30th May 2016, 8:13 pm   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Component Lead Bending Jigs - Users' Experience?

I have two of those, one which crops the legs and one that doesn't. The only problem I have noticed is that after using the points in the component holes to set the pitch you might have to adjust the pitch a little for best fit.

Al
Old 30th May 2016, 9:34 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Yes, have one of those.

Probably one of the best tools I had when building my Elecraft K2 Transceiver kit some years back. Thousands of components all formed in simple repeatable seconds.

As commented above, the accuracy of the jig set up is a little out, but easy to rectify.

A must have for repetitive leg forming.
Old 30th May 2016, 10:05 pm   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

I forgot to add that mine were almost certainly supplied by RS Compnents so not shoddily made items.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 30th May 2016 at 10:05 pm. Reason: missed word
Old 31st May 2016, 2:48 pm   #5
jez_145
Pentode

Peter,

Yes, I have one of those bending tools from ZBTools (actually purchased via Rapid Electronics) and wouldn't be without it. They do seem a tad expensive but well worth it, in my opinion, for the time saved. Do bear in mind the minimum and maximum bend widths which, in my case (smaller version- TP8), range from about 0.4" to about 1.2".

If you have a lot of components to fit with the same pitch they really are a godsend !

Have a look at this

http://www.rapidonline.com/abeco-tp8...g-tool-86-4230

Regards

Jerry
Old 31st May 2016, 5:29 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I have occasionally used short lengths of wooden batten of appropriate width to bend the leads over. For 'standard' spacings, e.g. 0.1" matrix, it's free, quick and simple.
Old 31st May 2016, 5:56 pm   #7
GMB
Dekatron

I also have one of these, which are essential if you are doing anything on a large scale.

Apart from what was said above, I would only add that I find the minimum cut-off is just a bit too long, so I often end up trimming everything after assembly is finished.
Closed Thread