UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2014, 5:31 am   #1
Das Imperator
Retired Dormant Member

Default My GE M8350A

Just picked up this wee beastie on eBay but I'd had one a long time ago. Back in the '70 my parents had this same recorder - a GE M8350A - in their bedroom. Once in a while they let us kids play with it but I most remember mum playing her recording of Harry Chapin's Living Room Suite. I ended up with it at some point when it was close to the end of its life anyway. I had parts of it saved for the longest of time. So now I have one again.

The seller offered this at a low price on account of tapes not playing at a consistent speed. Turns out the governor mechanism needed a bit of cleaning - as did the battery terminal. Didn't even have to change the belt.

Curiously, the motor circuit is completed through the chassis. I suppose that's why this thing runs off a wall wart even though there's plenty of room for a transformer - it has a pocket for the wart.

Records fairly well, plays nice 'n loud. The speaker is from Sanyo so I'm wondering if there's a Sanyo equivalent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE M8350A box.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	98591   Click image for larger version

Name:	My GE M8350A.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	98592   Click image for larger version

Name:	GE M8350A mecha.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	98593   Click image for larger version

Name:	GE M8350A motor.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	98594   Click image for larger version

Name:	GE M8350A speaker.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	98595  

Old 9th Oct 2014, 10:12 am   #2
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: My GE M8350A

Could you clarify your question:

Quote:
The speaker is from Sanyo so I'm wondering if there's a Sanyo equivalent.
So, do you mean a Sanyo equivalent of the GE M8350A recorder or, a Sanyo equivalent of the already fitted Sanyo speaker?
Old 9th Oct 2014, 10:19 am   #3
Das Imperator
Retired Dormant Member

A Sanyo equivalent to the recorder. And while I'm clarifying... might as well inquire as to when this was made - if anyone knows - as the owners manual has no copyright date. My dad once mentioned getting a tape recorder when he and mum were first married which would indicate - if this was that recorder - sometime around '67 or '68.
Old 9th Oct 2014, 7:59 pm   #4
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

the chassis and PCB are 100% Sanyo but they often made custom OEM products for other companies so you won't probably find a Sanyo equivalent

is there a Showa date like 45-8-2 somewhere inside this recorder?
Old 10th Oct 2014, 1:25 am   #5
Das Imperator
Retired Dormant Member

Never saw one but then I didn't need to do much looking around other that to clean the motor and fiddle with the level meter - it's fairly sluggish and at this point only seems to show battery/power level. Not that I didn't know - thanks to this forum - how the Japanese dated their electronics. Won't be poking around to look for one as I'm more inclined to follow Dr Cassette's admonition to 'never touch a working system'.
Closed Thread