UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2014, 2:45 pm   #1
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Default Philips N4404 earthing

I am gradually bringing this machine back to life and upon checking the mains cable, it is 2 core only (black and blue !) so no mains earth. This looks original and no mains earth is shown on the schematic. It also has the inevitable 13A fuse in the plug. So, should I install a 3 core flex and earth the chassis ?

Rgds

Ken
Old 29th Sep 2014, 10:13 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Philips N4404 earthing

You should fit a 3A,2A, or even 1A fuse in the plug as standard procedure. There is no need to earth the chassis for safety, although there may be a slight reduction in hum.
If you connect it to another earthed bit of audio equipment it will be earthed through
the audio lead -if both were earthed at the mains plug you may have hum problems.
Some of the earlier Philips machines had mains leads with 2 white cores so I would
not worry (black and blue predated the convention, but seen in Europe; black = live)
Old 30th Sep 2014, 7:26 am   #3
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Default Re: Philips N4404 earthing

Thanks for the response. Fuse done of course but will now leave the flex original.

Ken
Closed Thread