UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2020, 10:31 am   #1
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default GEC/SEI Selectest D III

I don't suppose anyone would know the 1.5V battery these 1940s meters are meant to take?

There are two flying leads with ring terminals in the battery box so I assume the battery had two screw terminals in it. One candidate I thought of would be the U14 but I've never seen one and can't find any images. I would like to keep the meter original as possible so do not want to remove anything to bodge something in though clearly I can solder a couple of bolts on to a D cell if push comes to shove.

Thanks - Andrew
Old 6th Jul 2020, 11:12 am   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: GEC/SEI Selectest D III

Have you googled images for bell battery? :- https://www.google.com/search?q=bell...LTl8tIC3FTrFAM

There are some with screw terminal, both 1.5 and 4.5 volts.
Old 6th Jul 2020, 6:46 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: GEC/SEI Selectest D III

When I refurbished one of these I soldered two wires from the terminals on a single D cell battery holder those worked fine and use a readily available battery and didn't alter the meter at all except the two short wires. You could even copy the artwork for the original battery case and hide the battery and holder inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter battery.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	210417  
Closed Thread