UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2019, 2:31 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default English Electric cooker

This cooker was apparently installed in 1961 and was with the original owner until a couple of years ago. I acquired it for the princely sum of 99p on ebay, apparently in full working order, with the exception of the clock. It is unbelievably dirty, decades of Sunday roasts having left their mark.. Shame no one realised in all that time that the oven side and bottom panels simply lift out for cleaning!

In fact the whole cooker is beautifully 'modular' in terms of restoration. Every bit of it is removable in a remarkably user-friendly way. The glass oven door and main door simply lift off their peg hinges, the entire cooker top lifts off and the rings and elements simply unplug. All of this makes cleaning a lot less of a headache than it would appear on first inspection.

Points of interest are the large 'flat' cooking ring and the heating elements of the oven, exposed when the panels are lifted out. No fan assistance here! The hob light is a nice period touch. Fluorescent lamps tended to be fitted a bit later on so I expect that this one will comprise one or maybe two 15w pygmy bulbs. Its so greasy I can't tell from the external appearance.

Oddly this cooker was acquired whilst on a mission to pick up a slightly later 60s cooker (also English Electric) way down in Surrey. An ebay browse on the laptop whilst idling away an overnight stop in a hotel revealed this earlier model up for grabs in Leicester, a lot closer to home. So now I have two 1960s EE cookers at a total outlay of £5.99 (excluding travel expenses).

Why do we do these things? It's all good fun!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overview.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	192129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control panel.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	192130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoblite.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	192131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	192132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top grrime.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	192133  

Old 19th Oct 2019, 2:34 pm   #2
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: English Electric cooker

And some more showing the pluggable rings, oven with the panels out and finally the cleaned panels (the grimy one in photo 5 is the bottom panel shown afer a clean in photo 4)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rings.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	192134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rings2.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	192135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven internal (panels out).jpg
Views:	357
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	192137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panels clean.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	192138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven bottom panel.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	192139  

Old 19th Oct 2019, 3:03 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Fascinating! Looks like you're going to need some cauistic soda to get rid of all that carbonised grease.

And I remember those 'flat' spiral elements - my parents had a somewhat similar "Revo" cooker in the 60s which used them - alas the outer jacket of one wore through with continuous heavy use, resulting in a Bang! a Flash! and downstairs being plunged into darkness until MEB came out to replace the appropriate supply fuse (we had 3-phase), followed by my mother demanding (and getting) a new cooker.
Old 19th Oct 2019, 8:42 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I used to love those Smiths clocks when I was a kid. The way the red arc indicates the cooking period is a brilliant design.
Old 19th Oct 2019, 11:39 pm   #5
1100 man
Octode

Hi Steve,
I just knew when I saw the thread title that it must have something to do with you!

I'm glad you have finally found not one, but two cookers! What are the chances of that?

It's interesting to see the plug in elements- very novel idea. Have you tested each one with an insulation tester (Megger) yet? That's always the biggest problem with old cookers- leakage to earth in the elements.

Hope they all prove to be OK as I guess you are planning to put this into daily use?

Good luck
Cheers
Nick
Old 20th Oct 2019, 9:52 am   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Nick

In truth this cooker is not the one of the two that I'll ultimately be using. I bought it to save it, as I had a feeling if it didn't make it's 99p opening bid it may be heading for the tip and that would have been a real shame.

Alas I don't have a megger, just the previous owner's assertion that it all worked (in it's grim state) before being disconnected. Time will tell but there's an awful lot of cleaning to do first!

Steve
Old 20th Oct 2019, 11:18 am   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

Similar era to our English Electric 'fridge, only retired because the blue liner had cracked and was deemed a bit unhygienic.

Even an old 500 volt wee megger is well worth getting, and they are cheap. The chances are if you get two of the same spec. one of them will be either working or salvageable. I don't really know how i got on without one for so long.

I would say that cooker was well worthy of being saved- partly because so few people are of the mindset (and have the room) to be willing and able to.

Dave
Old 20th Oct 2019, 12:51 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Alas I don't have a megger, just the previous owner's assertion that it all worked (in it's grim state) before being disconnected. Time will tell but there's an awful lot of cleaning to do first!
Even if the elements were leaking like sieves, in a house with no RCD, the leakage would just happily go down the earth wire and no-one's the wiser unless/until there's an earth fault.

A cooker in that state might still be used acceptably safely if you could be bothered with the expense of a 3kW or so isolating transformer.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Oct 2019, 1:17 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Plug-in elements were common at one time, my parents had a 'Falco Royal' cooker where evertthing plugged in (and which had a bank of rewireable fuses inside, the rings, oven, grill, timer motor, etc each had their own fuse).

The plug-in rings are close-to-unobtainable now. I tried to get one 25 years ago, no luck. You can sometimes modify the plug-in part to take one of the screw-fixed spiral ring elements used in 1970's cookers (which are a little easier to find).

I think I still have one 'large' plug-in element and 2 or so smaller screw-fixed ones on the shelf. If anyone is interested they are welcome to them but they have to be collected from me I'm afraid.
Old 20th Oct 2019, 1:32 pm   #10

Quote:
I used to love those Smiths clocks when I was a kid. The way the red arc indicates the cooking period is a brilliant design.
When our cooker (about 1970) was replaced I asked, and got, the timer same as yours. It is a remarkable design, modern ones don't cut it at all.

Old 20th Oct 2019, 9:41 pm   #11
Colourstar
Octode

Come to think of it, I may have actually have an ancient bakelite megger somewhere.

The work continues and diligent cleaning is the way. I've not needed to resort to anything more aggressive than Jif liquid cleaner, a wooden spatula for scraping, scourer pads and a lot of elbow grease. Compare the cleaned grill area with photo 4 in the first post of this thread.

Photos below show before and after images of the light glass and chrome surround from the hob light, which turned out to contain a single filament strip light, rather than a pair of pygmy bulbs.

Still a long way to go! Every screw is being removed, cleaned with a small wire brush and replaced. A bit of a labour of love....

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lamp dirty.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	192180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamp clean.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	192181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean top.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	192182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid clean.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	192183  
Old 21st Oct 2019, 2:49 am   #12
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
This cooker was apparently installed in 1961 and was with the original owner until a couple of years ago. I acquired it for the princely sum of 99p on ebay, apparently in full working order, with the exception of the clock. It is unbelievably dirty, decades of Sunday roasts having left their mark.. Shame no one realised in all that time that the oven side and bottom panels simply lift out for cleaning!

In fact the whole cooker is beautifully 'modular' in terms of restoration. Every bit of it is removable in a remarkably user-friendly way. The glass oven door and main door simply lift off their peg hinges, the entire cooker top lifts off and the rings and elements simply unplug. All of this makes cleaning a lot less of a headache than it would appear on first inspection.

Points of interest are the large 'flat' cooking ring and the heating elements of the oven, exposed when the panels are lifted out. No fan assistance here! The hob light is a nice period touch. Fluorescent lamps tended to be fitted a bit later on so I expect that this one will comprise one or maybe two 15w pygmy bulbs. Its so greasy I can't tell from the external appearance.

Oddly this cooker was acquired whilst on a mission to pick up a slightly later 60s cooker (also English Electric) way down in Surrey. An ebay browse on the laptop whilst idling away an overnight stop in a hotel revealed this earlier model up for grabs in Leicester, a lot closer to home. So now I have two 1960s EE cookers at a total outlay of £5.99 (excluding travel expenses).
In the US, we call them "Ranges". The range that you're restoring is what we referred as apartment size, around 20 to 22 inches wide, with four burners on top, plus the oven. Another thing is the high profile of the control panel. Ours were just 8 to ten inches from the range top surface.
I never owned an Electric range, so when I bought one, I bought one with the glass cook surface. I don't cook very often, but it is easier to keep clean.
Dave, USradcoll1.
Old 21st Oct 2019, 6:31 am   #13
dglcomp
Heptode

Agreed the glass top "ceramic" hobs are a world away from solid hobs.
As for restoring a cooker, the closest I have got to is stripping down the control panel on the Belling Format my Gran owns, looked much better afterwards. Means it still looks really good (near new) after over 30 years of use (admittedly the glass top was replaced at some point but years ago), it's always nice cleaning up an older piece of equipment and making it look like new.
Our Zanussi looks less nice despite the fact that it is much newer, most of that is due to having legends printed on the surface and most of them having been rubbed off, annoyingly a single legend ring is £13! The Belling has all the legends on the back of a piece of glass/behind glass so no amount of cleaning of the front will rub off the legends.
Old 21st Oct 2019, 9:55 am   #14
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

this takes me back to being a small kid and spending a lot of time at grandparents/aunties houses in the summer holidays etc. they always seemed to have either a pan of chips or slowly simmering boiled spuds on the go, and I knew my nan was getting old, old, when the tins of cakes in the pantry stopped getting topped up, i was always fascinated with the look of these cookers.
Old 21st Oct 2019, 12:46 pm   #15
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
Agreed the glass top "ceramic" hobs are a world away from solid hobs.
As for restoring a cooker, the closest I have got to is stripping down the control panel on the Belling Format my Gran owns, looked much better afterwards. Means it still looks really good (near new) after over 30 years of use (admittedly the glass top was replaced at some point but years ago), it's always nice cleaning up an older piece of equipment and making it look like new.
Our Zanussi looks less nice despite the fact that it is much newer, most of that is due to having legends printed on the surface and most of them having been rubbed off, annoyingly a single legend ring is £13! The Belling has all the legends on the back of a piece of glass/behind glass so no amount of cleaning of the front will rub off the legends.
I love those Belling Format cookers from the 1980`s, and I`ve had the control panels apart on a few of them over the years, bit fiddly but look so much better for a clean up. I actually own two of them, a 600X which was the very first ceramic from about 1982, in immaculate condition (I keep that one as a spare, as you do!..........), and a later 1980`s version which I spotted on Ebay - new old stock, so I grabbed it! That one is my daily driver, and is as close to brand new as I`ll ever see.

I`ve always had a bit of a fascination with Belling cookers, which I think stems from my grandparents buying one of the very first Belling fan ovens in the 1970`s, and it lasted right up until about 10 years ago and had to be scrapped only because I couldn`t get a thermostat for it
Old 21st Oct 2019, 1:44 pm   #16
Richard_FM
Octode

My parents had a similar but newer cooker until the mid 1980s, when they replaced it with a Tricity with halogen hob & fan oven.

I think it was a New World, but not sure about it.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 1:59 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

Five posts split to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160732
Old 30th Apr 2020, 8:34 pm   #18
Colourstar
Octode

Default English Electric cooker Part 2

I'm happy to say this cooker is now installed and working. The only problem I came across was with the grill. Like the two rings, it's a plug-in unit and a hefty one at that. The connecting pins are not fixed, but simply stand quite loosely in porcelain blocks, held in position by the stiffness of the element wire, the assembly being retained under a metal cover. Unfortunately the wire had broken just before one of the pins. There was not enough wire left to extend and re-make the connection, which simply involves the wire wrapping around a nut at the end of the pin. The wire is loosely threaded with tiny porcelain or clay beads for insulation. Its not the best design and the only thing I could do was dig out some old fuse wire (probably as old as the cooker) and make a tight twisted connection, ensuring the insulating beads were threaded over it. Very fiddly but to my surprise the grill works- I just hope it holds out.

The hob light was sorted out after I found a NOS tungsten lamp of the original size- unlike the LED replacement I had to hand which was a few mm short of the original length, enough for the holder not to be able to retain it.

The cooker looks great lit up in the evening- to my surprise even the Smiths clock works!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cook1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	204442   Click image for larger version

Name:	cook2.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	204443   Click image for larger version

Name:	cook3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	204444   Click image for larger version

Name:	cook4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	204445  

Last edited by Station X; 30th Apr 2020 at 9:41 pm. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:43 am   #19
1100 man
Octode

That looks really great, Steve!! You must have spent an age doing all that cleaning!

It's an odd design with that hotplate at the front and the two rings at the back. What actual benefit is the hotplate? I assume it takes an age to heat up and then to cool down again?

Out of interest, is it on a circuit protected by an RCD? Old cooker elements have a habit of being a bit 'leaky' and tend to trip RCD's so I'm surprised you have not had problems if you do have an RCD.

I like the period cooker control unit just visible behind the cooker.

Presumable next on the list is a period washing machine to go with it!

All the best
Nick
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:54 am   #20
Lancs Lad
Heptode

That's really nice, Steve! Fabulous restoration job.

Yes, the vintage MK cooker control unit caught my eye too. I had one just like it in my kitchen until a few months ago.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 2nd May 2020 at 10:59 am.
Closed Thread