UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 30th Jun 2020, 12:03 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Octode

Default Re: Multimeter Test Probes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith956 View Post
I found the ones that worked for me were test hooks like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Right-Angle..._t3_B07F82SMCB

They can't be attached while the set is live in most cases, but I found normal probes would slip off too easily.
I ordered these on 9th June, I was a bit slow not noticing that they come from China, current estimated arrival is late July.

David
Arrived today.
DMcMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2020, 1:08 pm   #22
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I don't need any test leads at present, but these look quite good and their voltage, current and CAT rating is stated.

Probes & leads CAT III, 1,000V 10A. Alligator Clips and mini hooks: CAT II 300V 15A.

Described as: Multimeter Test Leads Kit: 8 Pieces Test Lead with Alligator Clips, Needle Probe, Mini-Hooks, CAT III 1000V & CAT IV 600V, 10A for Fluke/AstroAI/INNOVA Multimeter, Voltmeter, Clamp Meter.

They've had 259 mainly good reviews: 77% five star, 12% 4 star, 5% 3 star:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SD3L9...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

On a personal level, as a hobbyist my main interest is in restoring vintage valve radios and test gear, and most of the voltages I encounter are no more than 275V, and current in milliamps. Other than that, it's solid state homebrew projects and the occasional transistor radio. Hence, oft repeated comments such as: "I wouldn't trust those on 1,000V or at 15A" are of no relevance to my needs, nor I guess to most hobbyists. Where I can, I do as much testing without the equipment being live. (resistor checks, resistance/continuity of coils, transformers, valve heaters, bulbs, wiring, 'switchery' etc.

Hence, these probes would more than adequately meet my needs and at 1.1 Metre long (43.5"), the probe leads are a good length too. Handy having the alligator clips as the neutral clip can be clipped on the chassis, so for most (not all) voltage testing purposes, only the live probe will be in use.

Hope that's of interest.
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 1:28 pm   #23
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Photos of the AVO simple probes, as suggested. The red one is inserted in its lead, the black one isn't.
Colin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO-simple probes-sml.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	210188  
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote