UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2019, 8:03 pm   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Monochrome-TV-bride song!

Hi folks

Just listening to the 'Now Show' on R4 tonight (Fri 15/11/19) - the last item is a funny song by someone pretending to be a woman married to a man, who insists on watching B&W TV. I think you'll enjoy it if you can find it on the i-player!

cheers
Mark
Old 15th Nov 2019, 8:13 pm   #2
Station X

Default Who can they be talking about?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b81j

Starts at 24 minutes and 30 seconds in.

No discussion about the need to sign in please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 9:33 pm   #3

Default Re: Monochrome-TV-bride song!

Yes, very funny and rings a bell somewhere...

Old 15th Nov 2019, 9:52 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for flagging that up Marc. I've listened to the Now Show for many years now. It got to be less funny, for a variety of reasons not appropriate to relate here, so I might have missed that song it Very contemporary as well as vintage! It fits in with the Henry Hall dance tune "Radio Times" or the Flanders and Swann song satires eg Hi-Fi "A Song of Reproduction" etc. I'm prone to collecting that sort of thing

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 15th Nov 2019 at 9:58 pm.
Old 17th Nov 2019, 4:04 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I found the song amusing in a self-deprecating way, but oh dear, I do find modern radio comedy generally cringe worthy.
Give me a re-run of The Goon Show, ITMA or The Navy Lark any day.
Old 17th Nov 2019, 5:25 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes it can be pretty dire and predictable Graham [despite a higher acreage of "comedians" than ever before] "Stand-Up" or otherwise but a great deal of success comes out of the experimental platform that the Beeb creates. As with popular music there are highs and lows in output-these things are cyclical! I thought the song was "spot on" in many ways and I'd go to see the performer on that basis. I was a bit confused by Mark's sentence at first though and wondered when the female impersonator aspect would emerge Changing the line to "a funny song about a woman married to a man who insists on watching B+W TV" etc brings it more into focus for me but it's probably just my brain!

Alexis Sayle can be variable but he did a rant recently about the earlier generation of managers at the BBC who he claimed were all ex-Bomber Command and took chances. If a series was a success they commissioned another, If it wasn't...they commissioned another. In his most sarcastic voice he said "now THEY wouldn't have been upset by some idiot's comment on Twitter." As with most humour it was a sentiment founded in some truth. Black Adder is the best example of this I can bring to mind. The First Series wasn't really that good but someone had the confidence to keep going!

Dave W
Old 17th Nov 2019, 5:40 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

I listened to The Now Show for the first time in ages last week and oh dear it's really gone down the nick now. It was quite good at first, but then went off a bit, which is when I stopped listening. Sad to see the downward path has continued.