UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2020, 3:39 pm   #1
Grimshaw1989

Default Sonos 1 speaker

Hey! Completely new to this but I’ve got an old Roberts R707 that’s in pretty good condition but doesn’t work (just picks up white noise). I don’t really listen to much radio but love the look and feel of the unit. Originally I thought of trying to convert it to a Bluetooth speaker, which I’ll still look to do if needed.

However I got a bit of a brainwave and thought about going a step further and breaking up an old Sonos 1 speaker and possibly turning it into a WiFi speaker?
I’m a complete novice so don’t know if it’s even possible but more than willing to give it a bash and try.
Old 24th Sep 2020, 4:38 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Sonos 1 speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw1989 View Post
old Sonos 1 speaker
Wasn't there something several months ago about Sonos not only ceasing support of their earlier stuff, but also of bricking them?

It might be less frustrating and a better long term bet to look at some alternative.

David
Old 24th Sep 2020, 4:51 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Sonos withdrew the bricking proposal after a storm of negative publicity. They just don't provide any software updates.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 1:16 pm   #4
bikerhifinut
Octode

I wonder if you could use the Roberts case and fit something based on a Raspberry pi or Arduino based board as they seem to be popular and provide genuine hi fi results from their DACs and soundcards.
I have no idea how you'd do it but I bet there's a fair few here who could.

A.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 2:03 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

The fault with the Roberts is likely to be just the usual problem the AF115/116/117 type transistors. Just identify the 'screen' lead on each of them and snip it off with side cutters and it'll likely start working again - easy!
Old 28th Sep 2020, 2:12 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
The fault with the Roberts is likely to be just the usual problem the AF115/116/117 type transistors.
True, but getting into the module that houses them isn't a minor exercise.

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100064

Paul
Old 28th Sep 2020, 5:38 pm   #7
wireless_john
Heptode

No, it isn't, it's an absolute mission to get the module out. If you do decide to do it, take plenty of photographs along the way! Definitely not easy!

John
Old 28th Sep 2020, 8:41 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

Fair point, but what I meant was that it would be easy in the way that you wouldn't need any fault finding skills.

So I just pulled one out of a scrapper and you would actually have to remove each transistor from the module board to cut its screen lead, due to there being no clearance beneath them. Most people replace the transistors with different types, but just removing the screens should do the trick in most cases. If there's plenty of white noise, then it's likely to be one or all of the AF117s.

Its easy if you've got good practical skills is what I should have said - you'll need a solder sucker as well as an iron.

Pictures below:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140007.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	216614   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140008.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	216615   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140011.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	216616  
Old 26th Oct 2020, 2:12 pm   #9
Gabe001
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimshaw1989 View Post
Hey! Completely new to this but I’ve got an old Roberts R707 that’s in pretty good condition but doesn’t work (just picks up white noise). I don’t really listen to much radio but love the look and feel of the unit. Originally I thought of trying to convert it to a Bluetooth speaker, which I’ll still look to do if needed.

However I got a bit of a brainwave and thought about going a step further and breaking up an old Sonos 1 speaker and possibly turning it into a WiFi speaker?
I’m a complete novice so don’t know if it’s even possible but more than willing to give it a bash and try.
I've done a few experiments with a raspberry pi 3a (£20, has WiFi) and Volumio (open source Sonos equivalent) with a mono amp.
It worked but I got a lot of noise on the speaker, from both the switch mode power supplies and the pi itself. The power requirement of the pi is not insignificant (0.5-2A), so it will need a mains connection. Its also recommended that the amp is powered seperately, unless you use the Roberts as an amp in which you're still stuck with the problem of how to power the pi with a module that can handle up to 2A and is not noisy.

You will get the same functionality as the sonos , and probably more, by installing Kodi on your phone and a Bluetooth module in the roberts, and simply pair the two.

Hope this helps
Gabriel
Old 26th Oct 2020, 2:33 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

You will also get a degree of future-proofing by not being tied to one company's software.

David