UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2020, 4:19 pm   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default "New" Farnell minimum order.

This may not be news but just placed an order with Farnell and after jigged the total to over £20 a handling fee was still shown. To get free shipping and no handling fee you have to spend £30+, which was news to me.

The order took over an hour too as the website was really glitchy, sometimes the filters worked, most often not, very frustrating. Could just be my BB connection though.

I wonder if CPC, Digikey etc will now increase minimum order limits too, hope not, an oder now comes to £40 approx once you chuck the VAT on top, bummer.

Andy.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 4:45 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: "New" Farnell minimum order.

Do you have an account with Farnell? I do and my last order around 2 weeks back showed delivery charges until I logged in, then they disappeared from the checkout. I have been paperless with them for some time, so whether that makes a difference, I don't know.
Dave
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 5:38 pm   #3

I too have an account with Farnell and keep forgetting I don't need to spend £20 (pre VAT etc.) and thus get silly stocking fillers to top up. It is an old credit card account (as in proper account), I don't think they do them anymore.

Old 2nd Nov 2020, 6:05 pm   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

Farnell and RS have both altered their non account terms recently but I still get free carriage on all my orders as I have accounts.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 11:40 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Have you all got businesses registered with them? It's getting harder to make those little repairs when there's no local shop to get a couple of capacitors from, and now the big online shops make those small orders uneconomical, but it's very time consuming to find the right combination of bits from smaller shops or eBay.
Old 4th Nov 2020, 7:58 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I have an account, but not a business account. Ebay is ok if you just want a few bits but when you see the same part for a lot less on Farnell one bulks at paying over the odds. That said if all you want is a few caps and you have to buy a load of stuff you can't afford just then, then your scuppered either way.

"It's getting harder to make those little repairs when there's no local shop to get a couple of capacitors from" Indeed, but I haven't been to a local shop since the 80's apart from the odd visit to Maplin and Birkitts in Lincoln years ago.

Andy.
Old 4th Nov 2020, 11:46 am   #7
G6ONEDave
Octode

I must have had my Farnell account some 40 years now and CPC around 18 years. I used to have a number of accounts many years back but most were closed by me or by the particular company, through lack of sales. Back then, some companies would not supply parts unless you had a trade account with them, whilst others were happy with pro-forma invoices and a cheque in the post. Generally also if you had an account, you got preferential service and often discounts on the price.
Dave
Old 4th Nov 2020, 9:26 pm   #8
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Farnell's account creation form online requires a business number and details that imply they'll check you're actually engaged in the activity.

Here the Maplins was pretty good so I was regularly in there to get individual Rs and Cs as it was just a short cycle away. I won't get into hegemonics and Amazon, but I think local shops are incredibly important. What a shame there isn't a Birkitt's in every town any more. I've passed by accident once a couple of years ago and did a double take, never having heard of the place. As I was out of the country last year and this one's been a bit of a washout, I've not had my Lincoln pilgrimage yet. I hope it's still there when we can get about again, or I'll regret it always.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 11:30 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

Mouser may be worth looking at. I used them a lot at work as their service is excellent and their website is a lot easier to navigate than Digikey's. Based in Texas they act like buying from a UK supplier.

Most stuff at RS and Farnell is imported anyway, so there are import duties etc included. It's just when you need something from their 'extended range' that you get hit with a big surcharge. I've often been able to find the same things on Mouser and significantly cheaper. It seemed to take a day longer than RS/Farnell at their best, though that might be different at the moment with reduced transatlantic flights.

David
Old 13th Nov 2020, 11:06 pm   #10
Oldcodger
Nonode

I suppose in a way I'm lucky in that I have an RS on the doorstep, so I can order on line today and collect almost tomorrow. But RS have more than a few places spaced out, so it might be worth looking at the cost of collecting vs minimum order for free delivery. e.g. MM- looking at thr RS site, there's two stores within 20 miles of you. ( I'm looking at the world after DEC 2. )
Again ,the larger place ( like RS ) often supply organisations which need certs of compliance giving a papertrail for ISO etc . result- it adds to cost.
Old 14th Nov 2020, 8:07 am   #11
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I too have an account with Farnell and keep forgetting I don't need to spend £20 (pre VAT etc.) and thus get silly stocking fillers to top up. It is an old credit card account (as in proper account), I don't think they do them anymore.
Anyone who uses these suppliers has an account, with log in details, personal details and your bank details stored.
So why do some pay delivery and others not?
Mike
Old 14th Nov 2020, 1:43 pm   #12
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Some people have trade accounts, in the sense of being able to pay on credit and have invoiced payments. Everyone has a website login type of account.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 12:11 am   #13
derekheeps
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
Farnell and RS have both altered their non account terms recently but I still get free carriage on all my orders as I have accounts.
I haven't bought from RS in a while , but I normally just check stock online then go to the counter in Glasgow , using my employer's account no , but paying the invoice either cash or card as appropriate to the amount .

My employer doesn't mind me doing this as long as I pay for my stuff myself .

I've had my own CPC and Canford accounts for decades , but usually order over the minimums from them as I'm like a kid in a sweetie shop once I start browsing ...
Closed Thread