UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2020, 7:25 pm   #1
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Philips 830C - restored and working

Guy's, thank you for all the help from this forum.

I think I am almost there with this restoration, I have removed a few extra components, that were added in the past, replaced out of value resistors. Disconnected all the canned caps and substituted for my caps mounted on tufnell board, all installed as per the circuit diagram. Can easily be be undone if required.

Using the original valves (i have replacements if necessary), power supply is 170vdc which is 20vdc below the minimum for this set I believe.

Aerial and earth connected,

Slight niggle is nothing from the set until the volume is almost maxed out, is this fixable, not really complaining just a sigh of relief that I have this set working, been a long time in the making..

Volume is from low to high, no middle ground.

Have attached a link to pics and video, cheers. Video is loud, turn the volume down a bit then silent, up a bit and loud...

Have had the set running for 4 hours and all good.

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 2nd Dec 2020 at 2:00 am. Reason: Non-publicly accessible link removed
Old 1st Dec 2020, 9:00 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 830C - restored and working

The volume control as far as I am aware does not act as normal, it effects the gain of the set if same as a 634A. Also if it is the same it is wire wound.
Old 1st Dec 2020, 9:10 pm   #3
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
The volume control as far as I am aware does not act as normal, it effects the gain of the set if same as a 634A. Also if it is the same it is wire wound.
Thanks HamishBoxer, I think you are correct, have been twidling with the volume, it behaves differently, just need to turn it for the best results. Able to receive around 6 stations.

Bearing in mind my test area has LED lights, a PC, 2 monitors, so not the best conditions. Will try in another area sometime

Just pleased to get this set working, got a nice look to it.

Cheers
Lee
Old 1st Dec 2020, 11:33 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Well done!

The volume control alters the bias on V1, the vari-u (variable gain) SG20 valve. It is wire wound because it needs to be a low value as it serves as the cathode bias resistor. It is worth checking the continuity of the volume control and they are normally quite easy to dismantle and clean as the back usually comes off.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 10:14 am   #5
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Well done!

The volume control alters the bias on V1, the vari-u (variable gain) SG20 valve. It is wire wound because it needs to be a low value as it serves as the cathode bias resistor. It is worth checking the continuity of the volume control and they are normally quite easy to dismantle and clean as the back usually comes off.
Cheers PJL, will have a look at that
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 2:07 pm   #6
Scotorvm
Pentode

Sorry, just another question, should this set be earthed?
DC supply from an isolating transformer.
Going to put an earthing tag on anyway and can connect if advisable.

Thanks.
Closed Thread