UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2023, 1:46 pm   #161
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: RetrotechUK May 21st

Well said Greg and some nice points and clarification there.

If we do have to share, then much as some people liked the stormtroopers etc (I did), wouldn't it be better for us if to share the venue with a more low key, low attendance other event? Makes sense to me. But obviously we have to take what comes along.
Old 24th May 2023, 1:54 pm   #162
slidertogrid
Octode

I really enjoyed the day and speaking to my two friends who had the stall (we had 4 tables between us) they did better as far as amount of stuff sold than the last three events. Admittedly at lower prices. I put a few radios on the stall and everything went, a couple went for free but that was my choice. I would rather give stuff away than bin it... The money raised by my radios that sold paid for a couple of things I bought, the admission, the table fee (1) and the fuel so all in all a good day out and space in my spare room!

On the subject of radio rallies and pricing I overheard a conversation that went,
"How much?" "£xx" "Really? "Yes, well that's what they make on ebay" " But we aren't on ebay are we? We're in a field in Spalding"
Old 24th May 2023, 2:13 pm   #163
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post

On the subject of radio rallies and pricing I overheard a conversation that went,
"How much?" "£xx" "Really? "Yes, well that's what they make on ebay" " But we aren't on ebay are we? We're in a field in Spalding"
My take on that is the classic "an item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it". WHERE a person decides to sell something will obviously impact on that, and it's up to them. Some people have the need to realise the 'full value' of an item, and others not. I use 'both' depending on what it is.
Old 24th May 2023, 3:31 pm   #164
wd40addict
Octode

That conversation has been going on at NVCF for roughly the last ten years: "It's worth £xx on Ebay" - "Well go and sell it on Ebay then!".

The most extreme pricing I ever came across was on a very beaten up Heathkit Preamp a few years back. It was the sort of stall that doesn't put prices on things.

Me:"How much is it?"
Stallholder:"two fifty"
Me:"£2.50"
Stallholder:"No £250"

My flabber was well and truly gasted, £2.50 would have been a fair price!
Old 24th May 2023, 3:51 pm   #165
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Let's not get too diverted by stallholder pricing please. There are always a few with unrealistic expectations who probably end up selling very little!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th May 2023, 3:55 pm   #166
slidertogrid
Octode

Yes true, If I had a high value item that was highly sort after I would ask around the higher end of what is was worth. The Transistor radios I sold I just priced at between £8 and £12. I didn't bother checking sold listings on ebay I just priced them at what I would pay if I wanted one. If I had a record of what they cost me I doubt many or any made me a profit it was just a clear out exercise. I just didn't want to pile it back in the car and take it home.
Others may have a different attitude I saw some stalls that still had most of what they started with towards the end - maybe some people just do it for a day out and don't care what sells and what doesn't ?

I saw a few potential buyers checking their phone to see what something was worth before entering into negotiation, (not my stuff I hasten to add). I had an item on the stall which my mate looked up on line. I had priced it at a tenner, my mate told me that they made between £50 and £100 on ebay and mine was NIB. As this was about lunchtime I was surprised it hadn't sold. I must admit I put it to one side at that point!

Some things will only sell of course if someone has a need for it, then price has a lower effect on saleability. You are unlikely to buy a load of TV droppers just because they are cheap if you don't collect TVs !

edit; crossed with Pauls post. Fair enough. delete this if it isn't helpful no problem!

Last edited by slidertogrid; 24th May 2023 at 3:57 pm. Reason: Post crossed.
Old 24th May 2023, 6:19 pm   #167
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagpie View Post
The WEC spoilt us - THE CONNEXION WILL NEVER BE THE WEC AND THERE WILL ALWAYS BE COMPROMISES.
However, Sports Connexion is less than a fifth of the cost of WEC, and I cannot see how WEC is worth that much more, for events like RetroTechUK.

This year we have all seen what the compromises are. Next year hopefully some of these will be less of a problem. We will also have more information on the website so people can be better prepared, as well as the other things Greg mentioned like signage.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th May 2023, 9:26 pm   #168
Radio Wrangler

It doesn't just apply to stallholders, the venues themselves can price themselves out of the market. In times when many people are feeling the pinch, this becomes even more critical.

David
Old 24th May 2023, 11:16 pm   #169
PaulM
Hexode

Many moons ago, as secretary of the BATC, I was deeply involved with our rally/convention at the Sports Connexion. We always had it to ourselves and it was basically a big open space with tables hired in. It worked, but in my view it was not very inspiring. Boring is too strong a word, but it certainly wasn't a 'family' venue.

Our best years were at Harlaxton Manor. That was something else and something for the family to see too. It wasn't expensive, but we were eventually thrown out as being too successful with traders ignoring rules. Happy days, but many folk will now consider it too far north. Most visitors thought that it was worth the trip and with cheap on site over night accommodation it worked well. No idea whether they might still consider something like this.

https://harlaxton.co.uk/

Such an incredible place and we had lots of space for the trading tables and exhibitors.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 25th May 2023, 8:38 am   #170
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Well said Greg and some nice points and clarification there.

If we do have to share, then much as some people liked the stormtroopers etc (I did), wouldn't it be better for us if to share the venue with a more low key, low attendance other event? Makes sense to me. But obviously we have to take what comes along.
The 2024 event is now booked for 12th May. There is currently nothing booked in the other hall on that day but in a discussion with the centre manager, he suggested (before I did) that if they had another booking for the same date, it would be best if it was a smaller, low key event, as you've suggested Steve....

BVWS committee chairman
Old 25th May 2023, 9:10 am   #171
slidertogrid
Octode

How does the other hall compare with the one that was used for RT? Is it bigger ? a lot more expensive?
Old 25th May 2023, 9:12 am   #172
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I think RetroTech had the bigger hall.

Paul Stenning
Old 25th May 2023, 1:27 pm   #173
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
How does the other hall compare with the one that was used for RT? Is it bigger ? a lot more expensive?
The other hall is smaller. Alex (BVWS Bulletin editor) did pop into the other event, he commented that was a bit darker inside too...

BVWS committee chairman
Old 25th May 2023, 2:05 pm   #174
slidertogrid
Octode

Ah I see I just wondered if it was bigger as the Comic con event seemed to have a lot of visitors. Dark? Oh it sounds as if a few have gone over to the "dark side" we don't want to do that....

Looking forward to next year already. Hopefully I can clear the loft then!
Old 25th May 2023, 2:57 pm   #175
Courtney Louise
Octode

My partner Jacquie and I were both at Retrotech and loved every minute, As soon as I walked through the door I thought the venue was a much simpler flat layout.

The catering I found to be good overall but would probably take my own food next year. Drinks though at the van... When I went to buy tea one of the ladies serving was calling just drinks people forward to get them through quicker, so plus points for that.

Parking was horrendous. We arrived about 10:45 or so and were instructed to park on the overspill, even on production of a disabled badge. After a short discussion they let us through but then we're not allowed to park in the allocated disabled bays due to too many people walking around so got redirected to a small parking area by the staff car park.

I dread to think how other disabled folk who got there later coped.

Prices on the whole I thought were good, although a few typical traders trying to charge the earth for a few select pieces.

I did come away with a few cool items including a DKE38 and a very rare EU version of a Wireway Wire Recorder/PA/Broadcaster for what I thought was a very reasonable £40. The restoration of which is already underway.

As is was Jacquies first event I wasn't really sure how she would take it but she thoroughly enjoyed herself and even bought a small transistor radio for herself.

It was also great to catch up with some friends I hadn't seen for a year or so.

Thanks to all for making it such a great day..
Old 26th May 2023, 7:01 am   #176
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I think RetroTech had the bigger hall.
Apart from the somewhat small loading entrances*, to me the hall was perfect; large, 'square' and all on one level with plenty of aisle space. Couldn't be better. Ah, tables were a bit rickety on first examination, but in use seemed stable enough.

There was a relatively long serving area next to, or part of the unused bar. Could that be used to serve more traditional refreshments like breakfast baps, sandwiches, cakes and hot and cold drinks? Obviously a caterer would need to be brought in but I'm sure there's many local ones who'd jump at the opportunity.

Like I said previously, the BBQ was serving mightily good burgers but not to everyone's choice or pocket.

* It was the door threshold strips that caused most of the holdups as heavily loaded trolleys struggled to ride over them. Easily solvable with a couple of angled strips and some good sticky duct tape.
Old 26th May 2023, 7:59 am   #177
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I would guess that the arrangement with the van precludes any other catering arrangement.
Old 26th May 2023, 8:16 am   #178
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
I would guess that the arrangement with the van precludes any other catering arrangement.
What arrangement with the van? Unless it's stipulated by the venue (is it?) surely we are free to choose whoever we want, especially as ours would be inside 'our' hall, away from the van. Clarification needed on that one.
Old 26th May 2023, 8:31 am   #179
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
What arrangement with the van? Unless it's stipulated by the venue (is it?) surely we are free to choose whoever we want, especially as ours would be inside 'our' hall, away from the van. Clarification needed on that one.
See comments up thread. The van looks to be there permanently as organisers have already commented. I am not one.

Note my use of the the word guess. I was merely speculating on the possibilities or otherwise and which I don't think is unreasonable to do.
Old 26th May 2023, 10:15 am   #180
slidertogrid
Octode

That would be a question for the organisers to ask the venue owners would we be allowed to bring in a caterer to sell inside the venue?

Maybe next year if there isn't a big event in the other building there won't be the queue at the van in any case so it won't be a problem. .
Closed Thread