UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2016, 10:26 am   #81
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: "The Death of Surplus".

It seems retailing is a difficult way to make money. There was a news piece just recently on how charity shops make very little money. Apparently, even if your staff are unpaid (well most are), the stuff is given to you for free and you pay zero business rates (or at most 20%), then you still cannot make much money at it...

And when it comes to electronics generally, it has entirely lost its magic for most of the population. The average bit of electronic wizardry is just another "toaster" to most people...

Richard
Old 10th Mar 2016, 10:30 am   #82
stevehertz
Dekatron

So true Richard. Long gone are the days when having a new 'wireless' was something that created excitement in the house for days.
Old 11th Mar 2016, 10:05 am   #83
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
'...We've had an offer accepted on a nice place in Lazonby. It'll be good to get back to where our families live.
And a "Junk exchange" sounds great...'
Good stuff, Andy! Welcome home, and all that. But I wouldn't get your hopes up yet: it's been three years or more since I wrote (the week I 'swapped out' an old bike frame for a paint-encrusted bakelite Bellset 26 that was sitting on top of the adjacent skip saying 'take me', in fact), and nothing's been done since.

I suggest before you even consider unpacking any tea-chests on arrival back home, you put pen to paper, as shall I (again) and keep poking EDC until they concede the idea is worth doing.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread