UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2023, 10:52 am   #1
stitch1
Heptode

Default TEAC PD-H500i

Hi,
I’ve recently bought a full (except the mini disc player) Reference 500i system. It’s hardly been used and in as new condition.
Anyway the PD-H500i CD player CD drawer is sometimes sticking. I’ve had a look inside, it’s very clean and nothing is broken. I found that slight pressure on the lens mechanism released the drawer. I took the CD mechanism out but there’s nothing obviously wrong. There is white grease and it’s not dry.

I now think it may be only when there’s no CD in the drawer so less of a problem and also a thump on the side releases it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this fault and has a fix or if a new mechanism is needed would a PD-H500 be the same?

Thanks for reading.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6829D.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	278874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6834D.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	278875  
Old 29th May 2023, 11:18 pm   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: TEAC PD-H500i

It is probably the drive belt from the drawer motor gone slack and is slipping, a replacement need not be an original item, a generic belt of roughly the same thickness and just slightly shorter should do the trick.
Old 30th May 2023, 9:04 am   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

These have a small, quite thick, belt that will become pear shaped if left unused for any length of time and that will give the symptom mentioned. It's at the front under a small cover that slides out to the side but you really need to remove the tray in order to change it. Its a square belt, not sure of the size but think it was 25 or 26mm dia and about 1.8 or 2mm across the flats. A thin one could be fitted but you'll be changing that after a few weeks as they are not strong enough. They need the fatter belt.
Old 30th May 2023, 9:18 am   #4
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue man View Post
It is probably the drive belt from the drawer motor gone slack and is slipping, a replacement need not be an original item, a generic belt of roughly the same thickness and just slightly shorter should do the trick.
Thanks Graham, I was about to say I don't think it has a belt but Vidjoman has explained why I didn't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
These have a small, quite thick, belt that will become pear shaped if left unused for any length of time and that will give the symptom mentioned. It's at the front under a small cover that slides out to the side but you really need to remove the tray in order to change it. Its a square belt, not sure of the size but think it was 25 or 26mm dia and about 1.8 or 2mm across the flats. A thin one could be fitted but you'll be changing that after a few weeks as they are not strong enough. They need the fatter belt.
Thanks, I've already had the tray out but could not see a belt and that explains why. I have ordered one off eBay hopefully that should sort it.

John
Closed Thread