UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2023, 1:34 pm   #21
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: MEET on BBC TV / update

The interview was just shown on BBC1 news at one. Maybe on the BBC news channel 200 on Freesat during the day. Possibly at 6 again tonight.

John.
Old 3rd May 2023, 2:26 pm   #22
paulsherwin

Yes, it was run as a segment towards the end of the 13:00 lunchtime news. Now I know what Lucien looks like! The editorial tone was very positive, with none of the jokey 'anorak crackpot' tone which often creeps into such coverage. Let's hope it produces a useful response.
Old 3rd May 2023, 4:10 pm   #23
deliverance
Heptode

Saw the interview on the BBC at lunchtime you come across well Lucian and as Paul states no weirdo anorak cracks.
Old 3rd May 2023, 4:40 pm   #24
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Anyone who missed the broadcast can find it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lm6l

BBC Breakfast is a 3-Hr programme - Lucien comes on at 1Hr 25 mins.

It's a 5 minute segment, which may not seem long, but a lot of ground was covered and lots of equipment discussed.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 3rd May 2023 at 5:01 pm.
Old 3rd May 2023, 5:34 pm   #25
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Thanks so much for that Lucien,
Very well put together within the confines of a news item, & in the short time available, your message was put across.

I really hope that someone out there has sufficient interest & ability to see this moved forward in the manner in which you intended & have worked so hard for.

It really does need to be kept as a living museum.

David.
Old 3rd May 2023, 9:43 pm   #26
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I caught the item on iplayer, very impressive.
It inspired me to find your demonstration of a MAR on secrets of the london underground. (Play TV, series 2 episode 9)

I really hope you find someone to take MEET forward.

Peter
Old 5th May 2023, 1:03 am   #27
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Thanks for all the positive comments and reviews. They obviously had to chop up the dialogue quite viciously to fit it all into the time available, and in places it's a little disjointed as a result, but I like it. There's so much in there and it looks great, so I am very happy with how it turned out. Tim Muffett and Darryl the cameraman were very much into the whole idea. Had we had more prep time there would have been a wider selection of material on view, but we worked with what was on the spot in the heat of the moment and it came out just fine.

Ultimately, as I am now really trying to stress in all my discussions on the subject, the thing I most want to conserve is the idea, the bringing together, the de-compartmentalising and de-nerdifying. The teletype -vs- player-piano thing. Any fool can put a computer in a computer museum and show it off to computer enthusiasts. What I wanted to do was to put the pipe organ piston setter in front of the most technophobic people I could find, and say 'Here, look, this is how a computer works.' I think that did come over in the video.

Plan B (no MEET) means a U-turn on that and sending the computers to the computer museum after all.
Old 6th May 2023, 9:36 am   #28
Bobdger
Hexode

Good morning, did anyone record the interveiw? I have just tryed to play this on the above link. I get the following message. (Sorry, this episode is not currently available ).
Many thanks. Bob.
Old 6th May 2023, 9:49 am   #29
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Try https://youtu.be/ZX65Fy23Ou8
Old 6th May 2023, 5:22 pm   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Excellent interview, covered everything well in the time-slot allocated. I really hope it was or will be seen by the right person who has the vision, ability and indeed finances or facilities to continue your work.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th May 2023, 6:11 pm   #31
ms660
Dekatron

Saw the interview with Lucien when it first went out, it's taken me since then to find the thread, really nice to see and listen to the man behind the forum posts.

Lawrence.
Old 7th May 2023, 2:16 pm   #32
Sinewave
Octode

I really hope the museum survives. There is so much time, effort and passion invested into this.
Old 9th May 2023, 7:21 pm   #33
Bobdger
Hexode

Many thanks for the link. Lucien, have you tried the chalk pit museum in Amberly?. They have a lot of hands on displays. Bob.